AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Display Campaign Optimizer best practices???

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Adwords Expert,

I need tips to optimise my Content DCO campaigns for Banners. Actually Google Adwords team suggestes us to try DCO campaign for our product. We are getting Conversion. No doubt! but Cost/Conv is too high and my team are not able to control it.

For Exampale : Youtube getting good number of clicks and conversion too but cost/ conversion is out of control. We excluded internal pages that are not converted and consuming a lot. Also paused the banner ads which are underperfroming....Still facing the issue of high CPA. Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad 

We are keeping close eyes on underperforming placements. Traffic is good, conversions are also fine but only the one thing which we can't control that is CPA.

Please give me some tips, how you all taking care of your DCO campaigns personally.

Thanks
Anchal

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anchal
September 2015

Re: Display Campaign Optimizer best practices???

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi Anchal,

Thanks so much for reaching out!  As you probably already know, The Display Campaign Optimizer is a tool that automatically optimizes both targeting and bidding to help you find additional conversions for your Display Network campaigns. This tool is available for campaigns that have reached 15 conversions per month.  And then the Display Campaign Optimizer automatically determines the appropriate placements to show your ads at the right prices.

However, during mine and my colleagues' experiences with conversion optimizer in general, you want to give the tool at least 4-6 weeks to stabilize in its bidding.  Furthermore, we've found it typically works well if you're receiving hundreds of conversions per month.  Because in those instances, the system has tons of data to determine appropriate CPA bids.  At this point, I might recommend you try CPC bidding + enhanced CPC.  Or CPM bidding for the Display Network.

Have you ever tried enhanced CPC?  eCPC does a similar job for your AdWords ads. It's a bidding feature that looks for ad auctions that are more likely to lead to sales for you, and then raises your max CPC bid up to 30 percent to compete harder for those clicks. When it sees auctions that don't look promising, it lowers your bid. That way you can get more sales and conversions out of the ad dollars you spend.

Suppose you sell shoes on your site, and you've set your max CPC for US$1, and you have ECPC bidding turned on. If the AdWords system sees an auction that looks likely to lead someone to buy shoes on your site, it might set your bid as high as US$1.30 for that auction (that is, your US$1 max CPC bid plus 30 percent more).

eCPC is only going to help you.  If it does not, it'll neutralize itself.

Here's more on CPM bidding, as well : http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6310

Good luck, Anchal!

All the best,

MoMo

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Anchal,

Here an interesting discussion & personal experiences shared by well known Top Contributor "Pankaj" & "Scott" on Enhanced CPC which will definately give you more insight.

Please ignore, if you have already seen above discussion.

Good Luck!

Thanks

Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Zee,

No one has respond on this post. Can you give me some tips on it.

Thanks
Anchal
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anchal
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi Anchal,

Thanks so much for reaching out!  As you probably already know, The Display Campaign Optimizer is a tool that automatically optimizes both targeting and bidding to help you find additional conversions for your Display Network campaigns. This tool is available for campaigns that have reached 15 conversions per month.  And then the Display Campaign Optimizer automatically determines the appropriate placements to show your ads at the right prices.

However, during mine and my colleagues' experiences with conversion optimizer in general, you want to give the tool at least 4-6 weeks to stabilize in its bidding.  Furthermore, we've found it typically works well if you're receiving hundreds of conversions per month.  Because in those instances, the system has tons of data to determine appropriate CPA bids.  At this point, I might recommend you try CPC bidding + enhanced CPC.  Or CPM bidding for the Display Network.

Have you ever tried enhanced CPC?  eCPC does a similar job for your AdWords ads. It's a bidding feature that looks for ad auctions that are more likely to lead to sales for you, and then raises your max CPC bid up to 30 percent to compete harder for those clicks. When it sees auctions that don't look promising, it lowers your bid. That way you can get more sales and conversions out of the ad dollars you spend.

Suppose you sell shoes on your site, and you've set your max CPC for US$1, and you have ECPC bidding turned on. If the AdWords system sees an auction that looks likely to lead someone to buy shoes on your site, it might set your bid as high as US$1.30 for that auction (that is, your US$1 max CPC bid plus 30 percent more).

eCPC is only going to help you.  If it does not, it'll neutralize itself.

Here's more on CPM bidding, as well : http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6310

Good luck, Anchal!

All the best,

MoMo

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 4
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Thank you, Momo for your fast reply.

@Anchal: Was this answer helpful to you?

Best,
Zee
G+

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Momo and Zee.

I will try it, hope it will help me.

Thanks
Anchal
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Anchal,

Here an interesting discussion & personal experiences shared by well known Top Contributor "Pankaj" & "Scott" on Enhanced CPC which will definately give you more insight.

Please ignore, if you have already seen above discussion.

Good Luck!

Thanks

Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Neha for sharing this link.

Anchal

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

if you consider eCPC, i encourage you to watch it very closely.  I tried it, at Google's suggestion of course, on a campaign and let it ride for a few weeks.  My CPC tripled and my conversion went down nominally.  The only metric that looked better was our average ad position.  We went from somewhere between 3 and 4 to between 2 and 3.