AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Display Ads Geotargeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it possible in any way to do one of the following?

1) Top preference -- Is it possible to enter a geocode coordinates polygon as the targeted area for a display ads campaign?

2) Is it possible to do targeting with a radius of less than 1KM? When I try to enter a fraction or a decimal into the interface, it says an integer is required. But I'd like to target a smaller radius than that.

Context: I'd like to run display ads that coincide as closely as possible with some US Carrier Route direct mail campaigns I'm running.

Thanks in advance!

Michelle

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display Ads Geotargeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Michelle C,

Geo-targeting an area that small isn't going to be very effective. The problem is that location in most cases is determined by the IP address. That address is owned by your ISP and will generally report the physical address of your ISP, not you. In a mobile campaign, it's a bit more specific, but you still can't target an area as small as a carrier route.

You'll need to compromise a little on your marketing plan to include an area somewhat larger than what you want.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Shouldn't postal codes location targeting work better in this situation ?

After all it is the big advantage of location targeting in the US, as opposed to other countries where postal codes are not an option.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
On mobile devices, if GPS is allowed, targeting can be more specific to smaller areas and postal codes can be effective. Not so much with desktops unless the user is logged into Google and has provided an address. Postal code targeting could be effective. Targeting at the carrier route level is not available.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Pete. I do realize the limitations of it, but the postal service offers their EveryDoor Direct Mail program, which aims at carrier routes based on demographics. I was hoping to at least recreate something that would have decent correlation, at least.

But your point is a great one. While I continue to see if this is an option, we have been talking about mobile campaigns. That's a fantastic alternative and one that even as we'd talked about Mobile apps and engagement, I'd failed to connect in my brain. I really appreciate your helpful comment!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Adrian. The postal codes are too broad for what I'm trying to do, unfortunately. The client is targeting very specifically by carrier routes, and those smaller areas can vary greatly even within a postal code. My hope was to be able to target an area within those postal codes for the most reliable results.

I appreciate your assistance! thanks!

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Even I think postal codes can play a better role than anything else, As said before most of the locations determined by IP address, However ISP's who using range of dynamic ip address can make usual location targeting ineffective,