AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Dig On the Truth of This Advanced Location Targeting

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi folks,

Happy New Year and wish anyone is doing well on Adwords so far this year, and hope ya'll make great progress going forward!

Here is the question to find out the truth of one advanced location targeting:

So for example, I have a new search campaign that with one exact-match keyword "Engineering Job In US". When you target US for "People in my targeted location", I imagine the search traffic will be all from US for sure. But if you opt in the first one as the picture above shows, does it means my search traffic will actually come from the whole world? Why or why not?

Thanks!

Jason

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason Zhang
January 2016

Re: Dig On the Truth of This Advanced Location Targeting

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Jason Zhang it's important to bear in mind that how Google determines someone "has an interest" in your targeted location is not limited to simply looking at the search term they use, this is why targeting the US and targeting the whole world will bring very different results.

Personally, I only ever use the "People in my targeted location" option.  I do this for three reasons:

a)  the "interested in" brings an element of uncertainty that I don't like.  I want to know where I'm showing my Ads.

b)  performance will vary from region to region, so I want to be able to control the settings for each area I target

c)  the needs of each region may vary - displayed currencies, shipping, item availability, creative wording, etc.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Jason

Wish you a very happy new year!!!

As per your question, when you opt for the option 1 then the person who are in us are eligible to see your ad+ the person who are searching for Engineering Job In US from anywhere in the word is eligible to see your ad+ who are having interest in that location which can be obviously based on cache and cookies from google.

the second option is for only the people who are physically present in US are eligible to see your ad.

The third option is the person who are searching for Engineering Job In US from anywhere in the word is eligible to see your ad+ who are having interest in that location but not physically present there are eligible.

Hope this is clear.

Ana

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Ana A

Thanks Ana! well explained Smiley Happy

So in my case I have one exact match keyword. So when I opt in the first targeting option, it essentially will gain traffic world widely who is searching for the exact same keyword, correct?

Or the question in another manner - If I set the targeting location as all the countries in the world, it should be no difference right?

Thanks,

Jason

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you for appreciation Smiley Happy

So in my case I have one exact match keyword. So when I opt in the first targeting option, it essentially will gain traffic world widely who is searching for the exact same keyword, correct? --- yes

Or the question in another manner - If I set the targeting location as all the countries in the world, it should be no difference right? no this is incorrect because its specifically mentioned that people having interest in your targeted location that means if the people is searching for us than only people will eligible, otherwise if you select worldwide it will be mess i think.

Regards
Ana

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Ana,

Thanks for clearing out!

For the second question, however, I'm still confused about your reply. So since I have the only exact match keyword so "US" will be included in the search term anyway to trigger the ad. So why targeting worldwide will be mess?

Thanks,
Jason

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Jason

for the second option that why i wrote i think because again i think "us(united states)" term can be in other sense "us(we)" so it can.

Otherwise you can try that option too.

Ana

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Ana,

Finally dismiss my uncertainty. It's so basic but need some thoughts to figure out Smiley Happy

One more if I may: So I'm doing Search only campaign, which means the ads will display only when the search team is well matched in the first place and then match the location option in the meanwhile right? I always thought the "people who have interest for my targeted location" is only for display ads which make more senses.

Best,
Jason
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason Zhang
January 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Jason Zhang it's important to bear in mind that how Google determines someone "has an interest" in your targeted location is not limited to simply looking at the search term they use, this is why targeting the US and targeting the whole world will bring very different results.

Personally, I only ever use the "People in my targeted location" option.  I do this for three reasons:

a)  the "interested in" brings an element of uncertainty that I don't like.  I want to know where I'm showing my Ads.

b)  performance will vary from region to region, so I want to be able to control the settings for each area I target

c)  the needs of each region may vary - displayed currencies, shipping, item availability, creative wording, etc.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Like Jon - I tend to use the most restrictive targeting for the same reasons. In particular, I find budgetary distribution to be the biggest issue.

If you open up your targeting to (effectively) the whole world by opening up the "interested" concept - you are allowing Google to basically serve the ads to anyone they feel might be eligible - and this is unlikely to meet your perception!

What then happens is that there can be a lot of traffic that comes from all over the place and it is simply hard to make sense of the data. It means that you cannot allocate budget to those countries that are of most interest - for example, the US and Canada may be a better source of converting clients than, say, Italy. But unless you specify the countries you cannot stop Italian visitors eating up the budget. Nor can you schedule your ads to run during a period on the US without this being at a different time in Italy.... if you want your ads to appear 9-5 in San Francisco - that will be 6pm - 2am in Italy! Not ideal.

In fact, most managers I know would generally run separate campaigns for each of the US time zones if not down to state level, even when covering the whole country...

Everything I have seen and learned regarding successful AdWords management points to more segmentation = better results. Allowing traffic from across the globe come in "through the back door" with Google as the doorman is not ideal....

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Jon_Gritton,

Thanks for your suggestion! Yes I can't agree more that we should only ever use the "people in my target location" option to have full control of what you just commented.

I raise this question because I have seen the campaign that use the first option(location + searching for + show interest) outperform the one use the location-only targeting, mainly in terms of cost per lead. Therefore I started to think although the traffic might from somwehere I'm not even sure but it worked! I'll conclude my case study in other thread and topic and invite you to take a look as well since it's a bit more detailed.

Best,

Jason