AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Difficult Optimization

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a B2B account with about 20-25 conversions/month -95%+ from phone calls.  Phone Tracking is installed but does not provide KW level tracking.

The account has a search CTR rate in .50% range.

The account is even more tricky because there is a large consumer segment that shares the KW collection I am using.  There is very little that distinguishes B2B search intent in the search terms.

I am aggressive with negatives and use ads that are clearly B2B oriented. 

I am reluctant to be too heavy handed with trimming low CTR terms that "appear" to be in my bulls eye (again with unfortunate spillover into B2C).  I've had accounts like this before and experimented with lowering bids on/paused poorly performing KWs, only to "hear" later that "good" calls have subsided.   In situations like this, often the low, low CTR KWs are where the conversions are.

So the dilemma is the difficulty in pinpointing where the yield is with specificity, and the low threshold (20 conversions/month), resistance of the the client to change to a more granular tracking mechanism.

What would you do?

Regards, Doug
LinkedIn  
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PPCBUILDERS
September 2015

Re: Difficult Optimization

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Doug.

While I do have some B2B experience (a small part of the accounts I oversee deal with exactly this situation, a consumer - business mix which is hard to separate), I have no experience whatsoever with phone tracking.

Here's something you could try though:

Have the user perform an action which triggers an event before seeing your phone number. "Show phone number", "How to contact us", any visible part on a page which requires the user to click, so you can fire an event.

As you probably know, Analytics records quite a lot of useful information, such as the user location (even latitude / longitude), the time of day when the event fired, the network from which users accessed and so on.

If the phone operators are meticulous enough, they'll record the same thing, including business names, contact persons, etc.

By using the Google Analytics API you can extract event-related data and match it to your CRM data (and phone tracking data, for sure, but like I said, I have yet to see something like that).

You'll end up with a set of matched search queries which lead to clicks on your "show me your phone number" areas. And keywords, as well, if you want.

These are, however, only the tip of the iceberg. Most likely, you'll have matched search queries which need some previous visits before getting you the "reveal phone number" click. Analytics records that as well, in the visitCount dimension. Most likely, those who triggered the event with less visit counts are more valuable, unless your visitor switches devices, when everything becomes murky.

Ok. So you'll end up with a list of matched search queries, some locations, times of day, and numbers of visits before the click on the phone number veil was recorded.

Then you need to look at Multi-Channel Funnels in Google Analytics and see which search queries assisted those click-generating search queries.

After that it's trial and error. Baseline your current performance, increase traffic for those search queries in the locations which have shown increased interest (manifested by the click / event) and see what lift you get.

Baseline again, add some negatives, compare. Rinse and repeat. I know it's not quite straight-forward (actually it's pretty convoluted), but this is what I could come up with.

Alternately, you could try with a "fill this form and we'll call you" approach, if you think it's appropriate. Then matching search terms with form submissions is a lot easier (and then with conversions).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PPCBUILDERS
September 2015

Re: Difficult Optimization

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Doug.

While I do have some B2B experience (a small part of the accounts I oversee deal with exactly this situation, a consumer - business mix which is hard to separate), I have no experience whatsoever with phone tracking.

Here's something you could try though:

Have the user perform an action which triggers an event before seeing your phone number. "Show phone number", "How to contact us", any visible part on a page which requires the user to click, so you can fire an event.

As you probably know, Analytics records quite a lot of useful information, such as the user location (even latitude / longitude), the time of day when the event fired, the network from which users accessed and so on.

If the phone operators are meticulous enough, they'll record the same thing, including business names, contact persons, etc.

By using the Google Analytics API you can extract event-related data and match it to your CRM data (and phone tracking data, for sure, but like I said, I have yet to see something like that).

You'll end up with a set of matched search queries which lead to clicks on your "show me your phone number" areas. And keywords, as well, if you want.

These are, however, only the tip of the iceberg. Most likely, you'll have matched search queries which need some previous visits before getting you the "reveal phone number" click. Analytics records that as well, in the visitCount dimension. Most likely, those who triggered the event with less visit counts are more valuable, unless your visitor switches devices, when everything becomes murky.

Ok. So you'll end up with a list of matched search queries, some locations, times of day, and numbers of visits before the click on the phone number veil was recorded.

Then you need to look at Multi-Channel Funnels in Google Analytics and see which search queries assisted those click-generating search queries.

After that it's trial and error. Baseline your current performance, increase traffic for those search queries in the locations which have shown increased interest (manifested by the click / event) and see what lift you get.

Baseline again, add some negatives, compare. Rinse and repeat. I know it's not quite straight-forward (actually it's pretty convoluted), but this is what I could come up with.

Alternately, you could try with a "fill this form and we'll call you" approach, if you think it's appropriate. Then matching search terms with form submissions is a lot easier (and then with conversions).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.