AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Different results for different users?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

I am having a tough day!

My supervisor calls me up all hysterical, why on a certain query we come up #7 when we should be at #1... so i went on searching and found that very term to do #1 for me....

Now, i am aware that Google may show different results to many users, however how is this determined? and how do i ensure he gets #1...

Anyone to the rescue?

Best

4 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Each time your ad can have different ad position for same...

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Each time your ad can have different ad position for same search query or keyword, it's mainly depend on the quality score of keywords, how much competitors are bidding, performance of your keywords in that particualr region etc.  There is no gaurantee your ad will always shown in top position, but by bidding the estimate top positions bid you can increase the chances to show your ad on top position of google search results.

Dinesh
My Blog
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

JayBTiger;   Are viewing the ad using AdWords preview too...

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

JayBTiger;

Are viewing the ad using AdWords preview tool ? if you do not use the tool, the search results and ads you see may be biased due to info stored in cookies, keeping track on earlier queries run on your pc, and ads shown to you.

To ensure that you get results as a "random user", doing a "random search", make sure, you use AdWords preview tool. Read more in an article by Kim.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

@MosheTLV   Interesting enough the Tool gives me right! i...

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@MosheTLV

Interesting enough the Tool gives me right! i am at #1, but still i cant get the idea why someone in the next room should get it completely different then me, and he claims he conducted no searches on this or similar queries in the time around.

So?  

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

@jayBtiger; There could be several reasons,: He did not...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@jayBtiger;

There could be several reasons,:

• He did not run the same query;
  • Being Familiar with similar cases, when people see their ad in lower positions, they tend to run the query "again and again", getting more impressions but never click, resulting in AdWords considers the ad to be irrelevant, lowering the ad's position, and finally stops showing it.

The most reliable tool to preview an ad, without counting impressions, and without keeping track on ads shown (by cookies) is the Ad Preview Tool.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Hi JaybTiger,    Moshe and Dinesh explained your issue re...

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 6
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi JaybTiger, 

Moshe and Dinesh explained your issue really well. Are you still puzzled? You have to look at AdWords in a more dynamic way. Nothing in AdWords is guaranteed, and that's true about ad position. Check this article for more insight. 

Best,

Zee
G+

@Moshe @Zee   Puzzled as never before...   As i stated i...

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Moshe @Zee

Puzzled as never before...

As i stated i am not an Adwords newbie and i know that things fluctuate and that queries running over and over cause sometimes a downturn, but.... When someone in the same room as me does a "Random" Search for a query and gets "Totally" Different results then me is indeed puzzling...

Smiley Happy

as was mentioned above they move with cookie info - if yo...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

as was mentioned above they move with cookie info - if you repeat a search a number of times Google will vary the top as they think you did not click as the ad was not what you needed so they give you other options

This was a search out of the blue... Not a repeated one!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

This was a search out of the blue... Not a repeated one!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

With respect JaybTiger, I doubt this really is the first...

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

With respect JaybTiger, I doubt this really is the first time your boss has checked the ads...

Even if it was, the same information still applies as commented above.  At the end of the day you have to try (and I know it's very hard) to persuade your boss that he has to trust you, and the stats provided by Google.  

In these circumstances it's usually helpful to try and steer "managers" towards the important stats - conversions and ROI.  If you can prove that Adwords returns a net profit of $X over spend, then other issues can be pushed to the back burner.

I've had personal experience of this - managers who wanted to know why their ad didn't appear in the #1 slot for every single search that anyone might make and fighting that is usually impossible.  It's much easier to make them focus on the money side - prove that Adwords returns a postive ROI - and, of course, throw in the technical stuff as well.  

What you have to be ready for is when they say "Ah, but if we were #1 for every search, we'd make even more money!".  You can then explain that to achieve this would most likely reduce the ROI as you'd need to spend more without necessarily getting any benefit.  I've long been a fan of not "chasing" the #1 spot as you can often end up spending a lot of money to beat everyone else when it's not necessary or economic.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits