AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Difference between GDN, DFA, DBM

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

So I understand what an ad exchange is, what a serving platform is, and what a advertising network is, but when it comes to GDN (Google Display Network) Vs. DBM (Double Click Bidding Manager) Vs. DFA (Doubleclick for Advertisers), am getting lost with all the terminologies & names & what each one offers/features.

So GDN has 1 ad exchange that is called Double Click Ad exchange? (Is that true?)

DFA only functions as ad serving platform? Or does it also contain an ad exchange that we can reach through it?

DBM, Does it contain Double Click Ad exchange + other Ad exchanges? (More reach than GDN?). Does it get served through DFA?

Can you please help me organize my thoughts around these points? I am so lost with all the namings and features.

Thanks so much.  

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Salma I
September 2015

Re: Difference between GDN, DFA, DBM

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Salma,

Just want to share a bit of knowledge about GDN, DFA and DBM.

As i know GDN (Google Display Network) is only the ad network, and GDN uses Doubleclick inventory as it ad exchange.
For DFA, it is an ad management and an ad serving platform. You can serve and upload your GDN or other ad network banner through DFA. Even if you have direct placement banner to specific website, you can serve it also on DFA. You can planning your media plan, trafficking ads, targeting, serving the creative banner, optimization and reporting your display ads campaign with DFA.

And for the last, DBM (DoubleClick Bid Manager) is a demand-side platform (DSP) from Google. Most DSPs are similar to GDN in that they are used to create ad campaigns. But, DSPs provide advertisers access into the vendor-neutral RTB ecosystem, whereas GDN AdWords only allows campaigns to run within the Google network.
With DSP you can targeting your campaign based on behaviour from your audience wider than GDN can do.

Hope it clear Smiley Very Happy

@RyanBatchin

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Salma I
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Salma,

Just want to share a bit of knowledge about GDN, DFA and DBM.

As i know GDN (Google Display Network) is only the ad network, and GDN uses Doubleclick inventory as it ad exchange.
For DFA, it is an ad management and an ad serving platform. You can serve and upload your GDN or other ad network banner through DFA. Even if you have direct placement banner to specific website, you can serve it also on DFA. You can planning your media plan, trafficking ads, targeting, serving the creative banner, optimization and reporting your display ads campaign with DFA.

And for the last, DBM (DoubleClick Bid Manager) is a demand-side platform (DSP) from Google. Most DSPs are similar to GDN in that they are used to create ad campaigns. But, DSPs provide advertisers access into the vendor-neutral RTB ecosystem, whereas GDN AdWords only allows campaigns to run within the Google network.
With DSP you can targeting your campaign based on behaviour from your audience wider than GDN can do.

Hope it clear Smiley Very Happy

@RyanBatchin

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello;

The internet is a "huge ocean", and there is a place for many automated advertising platforms using different  algorithms.
DoubleClick and GDN also have different bidding systems. (Adwords has a component of quality, while other Ad-exchanges focus on price);

Read more how the auction process in Adwords differs from the one  used on DoubleClick;

How DoubleClick Ad Exchange works with AdWords

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the clarification. It's now clearer to me Smiley Happy.

Cheers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Very nice explained Smiley Happy

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Exactly MosheTLV!
The first think of Google AdWords is user satisfaction and quality not just pricing. This is only one platform to ensure user satisfaction and always think about how to be gainer an advertiser (i.e - How AdWords works)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
nice explanation

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
This 2014 thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question or comment.

This will help other forum members to both see and understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!