AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Difference Between AdWords Remarketing Audience and Analytics Audience

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

I would like to know what is difference between adwords remarketing audience and audience gathered from Google Analytics.

What are their advantages and disadvantages?

What features have each option?

Which is better to use in which situation?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nika G
September 2015

Re: Difference Between AdWords Remarketing Audience and Analytics Audi

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Nika, great question.  The primary differences are as follows:

1.  AdWords only collects data on previous visitors who clicked an Ad, Analytics collects data on all visitors, regardless of their source.

2.  AdWords lists can only be customised based upon pages visited and/or where the tag is triggered, Analytics lists can be built from Analytics metrics such as Average Time on Site or Pages Visited, etc.

3.  AdWords lists can be used for Search or Display remarketing whereas (at the moment) Analytics lists can only be used on the Display network.

Which you use depends upon the business needs although I'd say in most cases Analytics lists are more useful as they can include all visitors, not just those that came from AdWords in the first place.  They can also be formed from more interesting metrics rather than simply a tag trigger.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nika G
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Nika, great question.  The primary differences are as follows:

1.  AdWords only collects data on previous visitors who clicked an Ad, Analytics collects data on all visitors, regardless of their source.

2.  AdWords lists can only be customised based upon pages visited and/or where the tag is triggered, Analytics lists can be built from Analytics metrics such as Average Time on Site or Pages Visited, etc.

3.  AdWords lists can be used for Search or Display remarketing whereas (at the moment) Analytics lists can only be used on the Display network.

Which you use depends upon the business needs although I'd say in most cases Analytics lists are more useful as they can include all visitors, not just those that came from AdWords in the first place.  They can also be formed from more interesting metrics rather than simply a tag trigger.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
adWords collects only the visitors who come from Google Ads? So Its totally useless, I have a lot of non adwords traffic, so they are not counted?
Did I get correctly?

So I will use Analytics list ...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Well, I wouldn't say it was useless;  AdWords sourced visitors can be very different from organic or direct visitors; if you've set up a good Campaign, tightly targeted, then people who visit your site - and particularly those that visit multiple pages - are very likely to be highly interested in your product.  While Analytics will record all the visitors that may well include a substantial percentage who clicked through to your site without really being interested or with any intention to buy.  More importantly, as I mention, only AdWords lists can currently be used for Search remarketing.

However, I do agree that Analytics provides more options and will usually allow you to reach a wider audience.  As I said, it all depends upon the business.

Jon

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If I am allowed an alternative input, I have learned from the forum that the AdWords tag creates cookies for all visitors , could this information be obsolete ? Here are the posts from where I have learned this :

Link1

Link2

I do not have a certainty about this, this is why I formulated a question.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian, I'll admit, you've cast a shadow of doubt in my own mind now Smiley Happy

I, like you, was certainly under the impression that the AdWords tag recorded a cookie only upon a visit via an Ad but if Calin says it fires for any visitor then I'm happy to trust him.  All I would say is that the data I see within my Accounts suggests that it's firing only for AdWords visitors.  For example, the "Main List" for one of my Accounts shows a Search membership of 8,700, with a duration of 30 days.  If I look at the Search clicks for the last 30 days it shows 8,790, which (allowing for a margin of error) strongly suggests the Main List - all visitors to the site (the tag is on every page) - is only those who came via AdWords.

Analytics for the same period shows 8,755 paid visitors via Search and 4,200 via organic search and another 3000 via direct so if the Remarketing tag should be recording everyone, it seems my Main List is short 7,000 people or so.

It'd be useful to have a confirmation of this from Google.  If Calin's right (and he usually is) then I've got to try and explain why my figures suggest so strongly that the AdWords tag is only recording paid visitors.

Jon

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The thing is theniks said the same in the other thread. A confirmation from Google would be most welcome. My personal observation is that I have used the tag also on a website that I do not promote in adwords and when I create a list with condition URL contains = theothersite.com , the audience has a number, so it cannot be only from adwords.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Can we get confirmation from Google? How?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I asked a separate question in the link bellow and fortunatelly a Google Community Manager answered to confirm and explained some more about how to evaluate the numbers in the audience compared to what we see in Analytics : 

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/How-to-explain-the-number-in-an-audience-fro...

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon Griton

Is there any differences updated in 2016?I think the differences you mentioned is a bit old.Please specify the latest differences