AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Device targeting question: Mobile vs. computer/tablet campaigns.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Device targeting question:  I have broken out mobile devices into a mobile campaign with an m. landing page, with computers and tablets in the original campaign.  Otherwise, the campaigns are the same. 

I lumped tablets in with computers, assuming the potential customer can't call in from the tablet. 

When I use my 'Droid to search for a keyword, I'm shown the ad from the computer/tablet campaign instead of the mobil campaign. 

How can I fix this?  Thanks!

Phil

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Device targeting question: Mobile vs. computer/tablet campaigns.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello philFMF

>>"I lumped tablets in with computers, assuming the potential customer can't call in from the tablet." 

You should set a separate campaign for tablets;

See settings at this link:

Choose your device targeting options

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375476

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks, MosheTLV.  That'll be in the next rev.

However, I still need to know why, when I search using my "mobile device with full browser" (Droid) I'm seeing the ad from the campaign not targeted to that device, instead of the ad from  the campaign explicitly targeting it. 

Thoughts?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi again philFMF;

Let me  see if I got you correctly:

When you search on Droid (e.g. Galaxy) you get to see a desktop ad  that "sends" the user to the "regular"/ non-mobile website?

How are you testing: by using the ad preview tool?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi again, MosheTLV,

I spoke the keyword into my 'Droid, and it shows the desktop ad (in first position).

I haven't tried with the ad preview tool.

Thx, P

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hmm...interesting...

Could you check using the ad preview tool? ... (Do not forget to check the device  when using the tool.)

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi again. 

Did that after your last post, and, again, the wrong ad shows. 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

It is clear that the keywords are competing: and for some reason the keyword that triggers the desktop ad wins

Another question: is that a click to call campaign?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi again

Not a click to call, and, yes, but for the device targeting (and display url with and without www.) they are identical. 

I wouldn't mind a huge amount, but the client has created m. pages, and I'd rather the mobile folks went there. 

The desktop/tablet campaign tends to have a higher bid than  the mobile (only about 30% of the mobile kws have a higher bid), but the device targeting should have ads going where they belong.  Should is a big word . . .

Thx - P

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

My feeling is that something was not set correctly, in the device targeting and display URL,

Instead of trying to "shoot in the dark" (since I can't access the campaign), I would just go and set the campaigns as they should:

Desktop / mobile / tablet

>>"The desktop/tablet campaign tends to have a higher bid than the mobile (only about 30% of the mobile kws have a higher bid) - this is typical in our early days, when mobile is not as developed (yet) as desktops.

>>" but the device targeting should have ads going where they belong. Should is a big word . . ".- You are correct! - I agree!