AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Demographic bid adjustments for search campaigns

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hello guys, is there a way to change bid adjustment not just for gender or age, but for combination of both? What if my target audience is men 24-35 years. From what I've found so far, you cannot do that. I can increase bid adjustment for men, that is simple, but then if I modify age bid adjustment, it will also apply for women and that is not exactly helping. I want to target women, but I not want to increase any of these bids.

Thanks!

Tomáš

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tomáš Kraus
February 2017

Re: Demographic bid adjustments for search campaigns

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Tomáš,

You are correct that there is no way to manipulate the bid adjustments within a single ad group to get the targeting combination that you desire. However, you can achieve this by duplicating your ad group and adjusting the targeting settings:

Ad Group A (original):

• Gender Adjustment: Male = -90%, Female & Unknown = +0%
  • Age Adjustment: None

Ad Group B (copy of ad group A):

• Gender Adjustment: Male = +0%, Female & Unknown = -90%
  • Age Adjustment: 24-25 = +30% (or whatever you want the bid adjustment to be)

Both ad groups will target both genders because you can't use a 100% negative bid adjustment, however Google will use the higher bid. This means that women and unknown will be served ads from ad group A with no bid adjustment by age range. Men will be served ads from ad group B with the only bid adjustment occurring in your target range.

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tomáš Kraus
February 2017

Re: Demographic bid adjustments for search campaigns

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Tomáš,

You are correct that there is no way to manipulate the bid adjustments within a single ad group to get the targeting combination that you desire. However, you can achieve this by duplicating your ad group and adjusting the targeting settings:

Ad Group A (original):

• Gender Adjustment: Male = -90%, Female & Unknown = +0%
  • Age Adjustment: None

Ad Group B (copy of ad group A):

• Gender Adjustment: Male = +0%, Female & Unknown = -90%
  • Age Adjustment: 24-25 = +30% (or whatever you want the bid adjustment to be)

Both ad groups will target both genders because you can't use a 100% negative bid adjustment, however Google will use the higher bid. This means that women and unknown will be served ads from ad group A with no bid adjustment by age range. Men will be served ads from ad group B with the only bid adjustment occurring in your target range.

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Demographic bid adjustments for search campaigns

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Hello,

this is not that great especially in large, segmented accounts, but it is a solution.

Thanks!

Tomáš