AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Delete duplicate ads

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I thought that duplicate ads cannot exist in one adgroup. However, I noticed that I do have duplicate ads in the same adgroup across multiple adgrous. I know there is a feature to delete duplicate keywords, but is there also a possibility to delete duplicate ads?

Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Delete duplicate ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Curious,

Actually, you can have duplicate ads in one ad group. I do this to limit the number of impressions new test ads get. For example,

I have 4 ads in one ad group. Three of them are identical, and past winners of head to head tests. The 4th ad is a new copy test. My campaign is set to rotate forever. This way, the test gets only 25% of the impressions instead of 50%.

One interesting thing I notced is there seems to be a difference in response between the 3 identical ads that appears to be statistically siginificant. I did not expect that to happen!

Now, if you have duplicate ads in separate ad groups, you might want to think about making the ads more specifically related to the keywords in those ad groups. That is, after all, one of the points of creating separate ad groups.

There is no feature I know of to delete duplicate ads.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Pete,

thank you for your response. Can you enhance a lottle bit on the statiscial significance that you see on having multiple ads, please? What are the main trends that you see?

Thank you!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi petebardo,

petebardo wrote:

One interesting thing I notced is there seems to be a difference in response between the 3 identical ads that appears to be statistically siginificant. I did not expect that to happen!

the reason for this is could be related to the keywords in your adgroup.

Say that you have 25 slightly different keywords in your adgroup. Each ad would rotate evenly "regardless" (not entirely, but mostly) of the keyword that triggered it. Over time for the 25 keywords you bid on, thousand of different queries might have been entered by your visitors, each query having its own purpose (buy, compare, review), and each visistor being in its own frame of mind.

Now, imagine the number of possible cominations and you can see why some ads "perform better" or "perform worse"...

This is even more true if your keywords are not phrase nor exact, but broad matches..

hope this helps Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Curious,

Well, maybe not statistically significant. I haven't actually done the math. For 3 identical ads in the same ad group over the last 30 days:

Ad #1

Impressions: 8,263

Clicks: 52

CTR: 0.63%

Ad #2

Impressions: 8,325

Clicks: 51

CTR: 0.61%

Ad #3

Impressions: 8,276

Clicks: 37

CTR: 0.45%

Now, if Ad#3 were different copy, I would be tempted to say it is the loser and move on to the next test. But it is exactly the same ad. Yes, I know, the CTR is horrible, but that's mostly due to the search partners. Response from Google search is much better, about 2.25%. I can't turn off the Search Partners because we get conversions from there. My test ad in the group pulled 0.57%. While that's better than Ad#3, it's a little lower than Ads #1 and #2. My conclusion: it's a virtual tie.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Pete,

thanks for sharing your insights. I don't quiet understand yet, why you would want to limit the number of impressions on text ads?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Curious, I'd say that what Pete's doing is limiting the share of any new Ads he tries out in case they don't work well.

Let's say you only have 1 Ad in a group.  If you add another as a test (and the Ads are set to rotate evenly), this new Ad will get roughly 50% of the impressions.  If the Ad performs poorly you could have thrown away quite a lot of business.  However, if this same Group previously had 3 identical Ads, when you add the fourth new one, it'll only get roughly 25% of the impression share, limiting your losses while still letting you see how it performs.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Absolutely, you can delete all duplicated ad copies very quickly.

Just go to the ads using AdWords editor in the selected campaign or even the whole account.

Copy them, then paste the whole lot to an Excel spreadsheet. Delete every data columnes from the spreadsheet, leave the

columnes A-G only, then select Data view at the top, then remove duplicates, while the columnes A-G selected.

Once all the duplicate values removed, just copy everything, go back to editor, click on make multiple changes, then select add/edit multiple ads. Paste the ads into the table, Check the boxes, your data contains destinations, and also you want to replace all ads to these ads. This only going to remove the duplications, the other ads not going to be changed at all.

Just klick process the changes, then post to your live account. Your done. This only takes about 1 minute, and so simple.

I hope I could help.

All the best

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
To add a detail to this thread, once you have copy/paste all the ads, you should pause them on Editor...