AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Decrease of traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone, 

Im using placement targeting campaigns since some months ago and now i'm having problems in reaching the budget I want.

I use only placements as targeting (no keywords) and I check all my placements results weekly to take out the ones with worst results (high cpl) and just keeping the best ones.

I also have smaller regular campaigns where I look for new placements to put them in placement campaigns and try to increase traffic.

Now I reached my budget with the cpl I want but when I try to invest more my cpl increases really fast when i increase my cpc a few cents. And when i do optimization my traffic decreases too much.

How can I try to keep my cpl and increase traffic or how do I know when I'm not going to get better results with the settings and ads i have?

Thank you very much.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Decrease of traffic

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Roger E

I suggest that you try conversion optimizer for your campaign. This will help you to get max conversions at the CPL that you would set. Please read the AdWords Help article below to know more about it:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471188?hl=en

Hope it helps..!

Abhishek

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Roger,

Other than what Abhishek has suggested here, I would like to add that you need to do a thorough placement report analysis for your campaign. You need to look at individual URL's in details as in the complete sub domain and weed out any pages within your targeted placements that you think are not relevant to your themes and add them as campaign negatives.

This should help you narrow down your targeting to the most relevant pages as well as curb your spends to the most optimum level. This is a stage in your campaign performance you can achieve over time and is something you should definitely work towards.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks @ShashankSingh and @Abhishek S,

Once I have my "top" placements with enough traffic and a good CPL how can I try too keep their good performance? I mean not to saturate them cause then they will start having bad results as well really quick right?

Thank you!

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Roger,

You can probably try shifting the top placements in a separate campaign and add them as Managed Placements. Here you need to replicate the entire existing campaign but instead of targeting the entire GDN, you add the top placements as managed here.

Other than this, to ensure that the CPL's are maintained and that you are not just accumulating spends over time, i recommend you try putting a Frequency Cap on you ads as it will allow you to limit the number of times you are exposing your TG to your ad copies.

Targeted placements + Targeted Frequency can and should lead to good or at least the same CPL's from you Top Placements. Again, you will need to manually intervene and optimize your campaigns to maintain performance for your themes.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"