AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Customized Remarketing Tags

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

I'm trying to add some customized remarketing tags into my website. According to the guide that I'm following, there is the following example:

<script type="text/javascript">
    var google_tag_params = {
        param1: 'test',
        param2: 'test'
    }
</script>

It only works when I need to send a single value to the parameter, but I need to send more than a single value. For example, I'm implementing the tag into the shopping cart
page.
So, I need to send the products and the quantities. How can I do that? Is something like this?

<script type="text/javascript">
        param1: 'prod1|prod2|prod3',
        param2: 'qty1|qty2|qty3'
    }
</script>

Re: Customized Remarketing Tags

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

Honestly I have never heard about customized remarketing tags. This sounds pretty exciting can you provide me the link for documentation about this? I might be able to help you.

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear gchiara,

we are using custom parameters for one of our clients, although it looks like that feature never really went official, as it's not documented in public at all.

So we had the same problem as you do with another client who did not use the customized Remarketing-Pixel (it actually looks a bit different than the present Remarketing Pixel).

That's the standard parameter:

var google_custom_params = window.google_tag_params;

I have no idea what happens if you remove "window.google_tag_params" like in your case and add parameters yourself - I guess it's required to still be able to use the "URL" parameter.

Until this is figured out we switched to another solution using Analytics for custom Remarketing Lists. You can actually do much more with Analytics as you could do with custom parameters using the Remarketing Pixel. Analytics Lists are automatically imported into Adwords and you have a wide range of functions to use. You should check that out as alternative (or even better) option.

https://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2611268&topic=2611283&rd=1

*Note: You need to adapt your Analytics Code for this to work - but it's just a single line change.

Hope that helps!

- Andreas

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The help page about custom parameters is this one:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3111920?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi!

If you want to put more than 1 value in a param you should set an array with these elements.
EG:
&lt;script type="text/javascript">
param1 : ['product1','product2']
}
&lt;/script&gt;

In any case you are using php, you have to use json_encode(array('product1','product2'));

I hope this will help you!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Once you start passing these parameters through, how do you build the audience lists within adwords?

Currently, I can only target visitors to urls that contain whatever elements I specify, but I'd like to be able to build audience lists based on which areas of the site they visit - and 99% of the time the area of the site is not explicitly detailed via the URL.

Surely I can't be the only person with this problem? Smiley Happy