AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Customer list update for display retargeting

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

We're able to send to Adwords, through the API, lists of customer email addresses as a remarketing list (customer list / list upload).

Can you confirm we can create a retargeting campaign on the display network targeting only email addresses on one of our lists?
If the answer is yes, what would happen if we update the customer list, used in a retargeting display campaign, through the API to add/remove email addresses (list doesn't change, only the recipients) - would the retargeting campaign sees these changes on the list and automatically stop advertising to people removed from the list/start advertising to people added to the list?

Kind Regards,
Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Paul-Henri B
November 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Paul,

I haven't used the API to change customer match lists before, but I assume it works the same as a normal manual customer list. Therefore, it will automatically update if the campaign targeting it set to be the list you are updating.

Regards,

Terry

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Paul-Henri B,

Welcome to the community.

the short answer is yes, you can use customer match with display targeting.

If your customer match list changes, the email addresses will be removed and any new email addresses will be added. I believe it takes around 1 hour for google to notice this change and removed / add the new recipients. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Terry

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Terry

If the list changes (update sent through the API), will it also update the targeted audience in my display retargeting campaign automatically or do I have to pause and restart the campaign?

Regards,

Paul

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Paul-Henri B
November 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Paul,

I haven't used the API to change customer match lists before, but I assume it works the same as a normal manual customer list. Therefore, it will automatically update if the campaign targeting it set to be the list you are updating.

Regards,

Terry