AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Customer Match

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

I have created a campaign to target customers with the audience feature targeting users by email.

1. I have uploaded the email list list and I have around 3,000

2. Created the campaign for the audience

3. Was getting 0 impressions

4. My google rep had me add broad based keywords

5 Impressions came and clicks are from the keywords and not the audience

Why would I need to add keywords if I'm targeting a specific audience?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Troy M
April 2016

Re: Customer Match

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Troy M it depends upon which network you're targeting.  If you're targeting the Display Network (the GDN), you can target with simply a list and nothing else.  If you're targeting Search you'll need at least some broad Keywords as well (you can't target Search with just a list).  If you're seeing clicks on the Keywords and not associated with the list, check your targeting settings so that the list is set to "Bid and Target", not just "Bid only".

Bear in mind also that there may not be as many potential impressions as a list of 3000 might suggest.  To "fit" the list, the user has to fulfill several conditions; they have to be logged into Google, logged in using the same email address as on the list, be within your target area, not have opted out via their Ad Settings, and so on.  Of course, once you introduce keywords, they also have to carry out a search that matches against those Keywords so although 3000 may sound like a lot of people to invite to a party, you might find only a few are going to turn up, and not very often depending upon other factors.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Troy,

Is this a Search or Display campaign?

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Yes it is targeting as a search campaign.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Troy M
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Troy M it depends upon which network you're targeting.  If you're targeting the Display Network (the GDN), you can target with simply a list and nothing else.  If you're targeting Search you'll need at least some broad Keywords as well (you can't target Search with just a list).  If you're seeing clicks on the Keywords and not associated with the list, check your targeting settings so that the list is set to "Bid and Target", not just "Bid only".

Bear in mind also that there may not be as many potential impressions as a list of 3000 might suggest.  To "fit" the list, the user has to fulfill several conditions; they have to be logged into Google, logged in using the same email address as on the list, be within your target area, not have opted out via their Ad Settings, and so on.  Of course, once you introduce keywords, they also have to carry out a search that matches against those Keywords so although 3000 may sound like a lot of people to invite to a party, you might find only a few are going to turn up, and not very often depending upon other factors.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Thank you Jon Smiley Happy