AdWords
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Custom static ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

On my site I would like to include some ads to companies I have a partnership with.  Is there a way I can display their ads and use google ads to track them?  I want them to be static images that don't rotate at all, just display the image and track when people click on them.  If I can't use google ads, is there another way to do this?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Custom static ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi discohayes,

Adwords is not the solution you're looking for.  I would suggest you take a look at DoubleClick for Publishers.

Learn more about using DFP Small Business

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi discohayes, in theory you could use Adwords in this way (by having the partnership companies run an advertising campaign with Google, then specifying the exact sites on which their ads will show - yours being one of course!).  However, in practice it wouldn't make much sense to do this, not least because your partners would be paying a percentage to Google.

If you've got a working relationship with other companies, the easiest way is simply to place their ads on your site like they were any other image file.  To track the clicks on these ads, you'd add some relatively simple scripting in JavaScript, PHP or somesuch, that'll allow you to record the clicks to a database or file.  It would be pretty simple job for any half--decent programmer.

I've got this on a number of my personal sites and for a couple I've also built in rotation of ads, % display time, etc.  If you wanted money to change hands you could also specify a number of times the ad would be shown (known as an "impression") for a certain budget over a certain time, and program in alerts/events when the budget is approaching expiry.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

PPCBossman wrote:

Hi discohayes,

Adwords is not the solution you're looking for.  I would suggest you take a look at DoubleClick for Publishers.

Learn more about using DFP Small Business

-Tom

I had looked into DFP, but wasn't quite understanding how it worked with exactly what I was trying to do.  Any additional help would be greatly appreciated...if not just pointing me in the right direction is a huge help.  Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi discohayes,

On second though...I perhaps jumped the gun with my suggestion.  (thanks to Jon)

DFP may be more than you need.  Before digging in too deep though, it might be worth it to see If you can execute Jon's suggestion, this may be the easier route to go and more than enough to serve your ads and report back clicks. 

DFP is great when you're serving ads on your own sites and dealing with advertisers directly.  It allows client access to reporting and provides client control on creatives etc...

Wihtout knowing your scripting abilities or if you have access to a programmer, the 'perfect' solution could vary. 

Google Analytics could be one simple solution for you.  Check out this Outbound Link Tracking article and also the Event Tracking Guide.

If it does appear that Analytics is the answer for you, you may find better, more detailed info on the Analytics Forum. I'm not positive that is the most up to date link but it's a start.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’