AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Cross Device Remarketing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does Adwords Remarketing works based on just cookies or user ID as well? Is cross-device remarketing possible? I understand the remarketing feature works when a user is using the same device and browser. But what happens if the user has switched device, for instance, desktop to mobile. Will Google still recognize them as the same user and show the retargeting Ads on Mobile when they have visited a site on a desktop?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Re: Cross Device Remarketing

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Preetom
I can confirm that cross device remarketing is not yet available in AdWords. It is however a highly requested feature.

Nick is right, you can roll your own using GA but the scope is quite limited. It would be easier to just use an email list as it's 99% certain that you'll be using an email address to tie the user to the GA user ID. In fact, email list remarketing is cross device so that's your best bet right now.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6276125?hl=en

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is a great question and I hope someone with experience implementing cross-device remarketing can confirm how this can be achieved.

What I can offer is this link to Cutroni's blog that dives deeply into Google Analytics Cross-Device measurement and User-ID.

In theory, using Google Analytics' Cross-Device feature with customer User-ID and activating a feature called Session Unification, you can create a cross-device remarketing list via a custom segmentation.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Preetom C;

AdWords uses both cookies and past data from  signed in users to estimate cross device convesions..  AdWords Cross device conversion is a statistical model.

Read this article by Google on how cross device conversions are calculated

http://services.google.com/fh/files/helpcenter/cross_device_methodology.pdf

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

And also, in general, I believe phones do not use cookies and rather app sign ins.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your reply. However please understand that my question was whether it is possible to do Cross-device remarketing, not cross-device conversion. I asked the Google rep how cross-device remarketing works for Adwords, he gave me similar answers like you. As long as they are signed into the same email on different devices they will be able to see cross- device remarketing ads. However, I wasn't quite convinced with the answer since the Google rep wasn't able to provide any article/information so that I can read more about it.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Preetom C;

Oh... This could be confusing... Smiley Surprised

AdWords is a cookie based remarketing tag and assigned to a browser.  (And eventually  browsers  do not share cookies across devices). Hence, currently cross device remarketing is not an option for AdWords.

Not sure though about Analytics; Let me ping a colleague  to comment about cross device re-marketing in Analytics; 

@Dave_Davis?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Preetom
I can confirm that cross device remarketing is not yet available in AdWords. It is however a highly requested feature.

Nick is right, you can roll your own using GA but the scope is quite limited. It would be easier to just use an email list as it's 99% certain that you'll be using an email address to tie the user to the GA user ID. In fact, email list remarketing is cross device so that's your best bet right now.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6276125?hl=en

Hope that helps!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @MosheTLV and @Dave_Davis, now I am a bit more clear. What you are saying totally makes sense. I can definitely use an email list to do cross-device remarketing as long as they are signed into the same account in both desktop and mobile.

Unfortunately, the Google rep I spoke to didn't quite give me the most accurate information. He told me that cross-device remarketing is possible when a person is signed into the same account in both the devices. He didn't tell me anything about uploading an email list. So I was a bit confused, is it really possible to do so without uploading the email list?

On the other hand, Facebook retargeting is based on user ID, so it works cross-device. I believe user based retargeting is more advanced than cookie-based retargeting. I am looking forward to Google launching user id based retargeting