AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Creating Bespoke Audiences using Custom Varibles

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, 

I've recently setup Dynamic Re-marketing on my website but am really struggling to figure out how to setup custom audiences based on specific custom variables that I'm tracking on my website, more specifically ecomm_totalvalue, ecomm_prodid and ecomm_pagetype. 

After days of Google searches, consulting with spiritual mediums and a lot of head scratching, I think the way to do it is through GA, more specifically Admin>>Property>>Remarketing>>Dynamic Attributes.

Under Dynamic Attributes I've linked the custom variables as follows, haven't found any documentation to suggest this is what I should be doing buy it kinda makes sense..(see below).

I then go in under Admin>>Property>>Remarketing>>Audiences and I create  new audience using the custom variable as a filter, however it returns 0 results. I know for sure that there should be hits against this audience, I've had the tracking code running for quite a long time and receive about 3000 hits a month, and I'm filtering by the first step in the funnel.

Perhaps I've setup the tracking incorrectly, I'm not sure, but when I test it using Tag manager de-**bleep**, and it looks like it's working just fine, see screen grab below. Either way, I'd really appreciate any advise/help/direction I could get as I'm stuck...

Cheers,

Mikael

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Creating Bespoke Audiences using Custom Varibles

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Mikael,

Welcome to adwords community,
You want to track audience through GA. Have you enable display feature in google analytics code?
If you have not updated display feature go with this link and update it
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3450482?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes it was already enabled...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi, Mikael.

I think there's a problem with your current setup. Long story short, if you don't necessarily need Analytics for that, you can do it in AdWords as well, as long as you have the AdWords Dynamic Remarketing tag on your website.

Just create a new remarketing list in AdWords and in the conditions offered ("People who visited a page with any of the following:"), click on the +Rule and click on the URL dropdown. You should find your ecomm_ attributes there and will be able to use them in your filters.

Later edit: here's a screenshot as well.

Dynamic Remarketing Attributes in AdWords

If you want to go the Analytics way, then you need custom dimensions (not variables, see here https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3455600?hl=en ) and then use these dimensions, after you fire the right code in Analytics, to map them to your dynamic remarketing attributes, not the other way around, as described here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6002231?hl=en

But then custom dimensions require universal analytics and so on and so forth and if I'm not mistaken what you need can easily be achieved through AdWords alone.

Please let me know if it works for you.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much Calin, I don't get those options in AdWords so I can only assume that my tracking isn't working properly. What you're doing in your example above is EXACTLY what I was expecting to be able to do so I think my best option is to go back to the drawing board and revisit how I've setup the tracking, something isn't right there.

Best,
Mikael

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi there, I've redone my tag implementation, I'm now using the One Tag Per Funnel approach instead. How long can I expect it to take before those custom variables show up as for me to choose from when setting up lists?

Cheers,
Mikael

https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/3002580?hl=en#OneTagPerFunnel

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hey, Mikael. I don't have a definite answer, but if I remember correctly one day may not be enough for the attributes to appear in the list in AdWords.

I do know that a day after placing the code and getting hits they were not showing in my interface.

Do you use the Google Analytics extension for Chrome (the name eludes me now) that can tell you if the code is rightly implemented? That can save you some waiting time in case the code is not right.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Calin, I've tested it using "Tag Assistant", think that's what you're referring to. It kinda seems to be working although I'm getting slightly different results in TA from what I got when using the debugger in Tag Manager.

When I browse a product page the remarketing tag shows up, I can see the custom variables, however TA asks me for the Feed ID from Merchant, I'm not using Merchant for my feed I'm using AdWords, never quite understood the difference (from a Feed perspective). Eitherway, I'm unable to find any feed ID in AdWords.

tagassistant-1.PNG 

tagassistant-2.PNG

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hey, Mikael.

I think the extension recognizes the e-commerce (retail) specific attributes and tries to validate those values against a Google Merchant Center feed. That's because if you're in the retail business you need to use a Google Merchant Center feed in order to do Dynamic Remarketing (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6053288).

If you're not going to do dynamic remarketing though, and only use those attributes to segment your audience, you may be able to do that once the code is correctly implemented.

Also, you may want to edit the specific IDs for your tags, just in case anyone is trying to pull a prank and send you bogus traffic in your accounts Smiley Happy.

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee

Hi Mikael,

It seems like your site is not a "retail" site (you don't sell physical goods), so you're not eligible to use Google Merchant Center and you shouldn't be using the tag parameter names "ecomm_prodid", etc...

Instead, you should create a feed with the "Business Data" section of AdWords:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6077139?hl=en&ref_topic=6077046

and you should use the proper tag parameter names:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3103357

- Maxime