AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5K members online now
5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Create PLACES add using adwords interface NOT AdwordsExpress

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Anyone know how/if you can create a add for Google PLACES using Adwords interface.......NOT by using AdwordsExpress??

Thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

Re: Create PLACES add using adwords interface NOT AdwordsExpress

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Ah, yes... The old showing an ad for your business on your, or your competitors places pages bit... Classic, and possibly very effective. Smiley Happy

I don't know which factor is more or less important, but I think you need at least:

Google and search partners targeting - Places pages are not part of the display network (obviously).

Local targeting - Gaining 100% of the possible impression share within a "relevant distance" of the adrress of the places page that you want to show an ad on, will certainly help.

Brand KW terms seem neccesary. If the Places page for example is for Tom Dwyer Automotive, then using Tom Dwyer variation KW's will help target that search/search partners page.

I can't say for sure how to show an adwords ad on a places page 100% of the time, but I know you can show an adwords ad on places pages at least some of the time. Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, the only way to know what's happening on the places page is by a live search/view of that page. With personalized search, you may not see what your potential customers may see. Keep at it, and keep looking, I know you can accomplish the goal, But it may take more than one attempt. Be patient, and you will figure it out. Smiley Happy

Tom

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by LynnyRose (Follower ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 12
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

In order to create an ad that looks aesthetically like an Adwords Express/Places Ad, then yes - Nik is correct - it just involves creating a regular text ad in Adwords, opted into the Search network and having a location extension added.

In order to create a text ad that features alongside the search results in Google Maps (as per the screenshot) - it just involves creating a regular text ad in Adwords and ensuring it is only opted into the Google Search Network only. By doing this it means the ad can potentially show across google.com, maps.google.com, Google Shopping, and Google Groups.

More information on Location Extensions can be found here:http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2404182

More information on where an Adwords Ad can show and the Search Network can be found here: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1704373

I hope this helps.

LynnyRose

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

You can create places here http://www.google.com/places/ 

all you need is google account and information about your business. The creation process is pretty self explanatory.

Regards

Nik

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

"An ad for..." 

Do you mean, and ad, that's destination/display URL is the google places page, not the website URL?

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, but a google place page is not what I need. I want to run an AD that shows on the Places pages, just like an AdwordExpress Ad does, but I do not want to creat it using Express, I want to create it using the non-Express interface of Adwords where you can create campaigns and such. I believe these ads have more options when created here as opposed to AdwordsExpress.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Ah, yes... The old showing an ad for your business on your, or your competitors places pages bit... Classic, and possibly very effective. Smiley Happy

I don't know which factor is more or less important, but I think you need at least:

Google and search partners targeting - Places pages are not part of the display network (obviously).

Local targeting - Gaining 100% of the possible impression share within a "relevant distance" of the adrress of the places page that you want to show an ad on, will certainly help.

Brand KW terms seem neccesary. If the Places page for example is for Tom Dwyer Automotive, then using Tom Dwyer variation KW's will help target that search/search partners page.

I can't say for sure how to show an adwords ad on a places page 100% of the time, but I know you can show an adwords ad on places pages at least some of the time. Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, the only way to know what's happening on the places page is by a live search/view of that page. With personalized search, you may not see what your potential customers may see. Keep at it, and keep looking, I know you can accomplish the goal, But it may take more than one attempt. Be patient, and you will figure it out. Smiley Happy

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, maybe I am not explaining myself correctly.

See the "Stanley Steemer" ad that shows on this map/places search result page?

I want to create an ad like this but NOT NOT use Adwords EXPRESS......

Scroll down... 

I want to create and manage the ad using this.........

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

This screen shot was great. Now we can all get on the same page...

I think that this is just a google search ad. You're not yet on any actual places page. Everything I said in the previous post still applies.

Search networks

NY, NY

Carpet cleaning themed KW's

100% impression share

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, maybe I shold not have said "Places" page, as I DO NOT want it to show on any individual Places page, yet I want it to show on the search result page, as shown in the capture....just like an AdwordExpress ad shows...but I believe there is a way to creat a places search ad by using the standard Adwords interface and NOT express.

I believe I read that there are more ad options this way, but I can't seem to figure out how.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Actually, I think the ads will run on some individual place pages as well but that's not a factor. 

Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner

The language/lexicon is the real problem here I think. 

"a way to create a places search ad"

The screen shot looks like a local results/maps search page result - Whatever it's called now-a-days. I see those results when I select the maps tab in google search.

The display URL appears to land on Stanley's site, not their places page. Google places is/are the google places pages/sites.

I think you want to rank higher for "hyper-local" search results, or something like that. Smiley Happy

I still think that's part of a highly optimized adwords campaign, focused on the local area.

Maybe you have to have a connected places account location extension, or at least a manually entered location extension to show an ad in the local/maps results (?). 

You would still have to out-rank Stanely to get the top spot though.

Tom