AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Country code phone number in location extension

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a problem, and I think this is an error from the Google AdWords system.

When I add a location extension (upgraded) to my campaign, the system does not add the country code to my phone number, as it should. Here you can see an example - you can see that the country code phone number is added to the organic result (google+ local), but not in the ad.

Is this an error of the ad preview tool, or the ad is actually shown without the country code?

hp1.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Country code phone number in location extension

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

To the best of my knowledge, it depends upon the format of the phone number how it has to be shown for Places results and how it will be shown for Google ads.

For example if the query is specific to some place, you will see the listings with detailed information with the name of that place and the format of the telephone number changed in the Google ads. This is something I believe that Google keeps on experimenting and might show the ad extensions in different formats which they believe that users are more likely to take action on.

My Thoughts!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, thank you for you response,
but I think this is an error, because this example (in the screenshot) is an example of a search query in the UK on the co.uk Google domain, and people seeing this phone number can not call my client without the country code prefix, so this phone number in my location extension is useless...
I tested different searches and different locations (using the preview tool or normal Google search), and noticed that there is no phone country code number in any AdWords ads.
The AdWords tech team should fix this...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I agree. I've had a client asking me why there is no country extension before the number. We are advertising in the neighbor country (Germany) and it should therefore show the full number or customers will get confused.
The preview tool doesn't show the number at all when set to Germany. Could it be that Google is only showing local numbers?