AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Countdown Ad customizer, days before end

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I'm trying to set up a customizer telling custoers how many days they have left to shop before christmas:

{=COUNTDOWN("2014/12/24 00:00:00",,50)} Left To Shop

I understand the last parameter is '5' by default (the countdown starts showing 5 days before 24/12/2014), so I tried setting this higher. The ad isn't working though - have I done something wrong? Can this parameter only by lower, not higher?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Countdown Ad customizer, days before end

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Colin,

Your countdown code seems unnecessarily complex; as far as I'm aware, to countdown to a specific date, all you need is the date, in the following format:

{=COUNTDOWN("2014/12/24 00:00:00")} Left To Shop

This is described in the help pages here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6072565?hl=en (expand the "countdown to one-time event" section near the bottom of the page).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon, thank you for the quick reply.

On the 'Set up ad customizers' page (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6093368) it says:

"3. (Optional) Change the number of days before the end date that the customizer should start serving. (The default is 5 days)."

So I assumed I need the additional parameter to override the 5 day default?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I would have 3 suggestions , Sir Jon could comment if they are valid or not :

1) The instructions say to leave a blank space, if you do not want to specify a language parameter, you have no space between those 2 commas.

"If you aren't specifying a display language, you'll need to leave an empty space for the display language, like this:"

2) Hours 00:00:00 can be interpreted in 2 ways, early morning or midnight so try better with 23:59:59 to be exact.

3) The number of days left from today are only 13+24=37 , so putting 50 is not logical , you are asking the script to start working before current day

So final form for today 17 nov 2014 would be in my opinion :

{=COUNTDOWN("2014/12/24 23:59:59", ,34)}.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Colin H wrote:

{=COUNTDOWN("2014/12/24 00:00:00",,50)} Left To Shop

It looks ok to me!

You need to have at least one standard ad without {=COUNTDOWN()} parameter on ad group or it will never work - have you added at least one standard ad to the ad group?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Colin, if you do need to use the day restriction then I'd say both Adrian and Gravity have valid points:

From Adrian - there's fewer than 50 days left before the 24th December so that may be causing a problem.

From Gravity - the help files do specify that you must have at least one "standard" Ad in the Group.

On the top of the number of days left, since there are fewer than 50 left before Christmas, why are you using this format in the first place?  The simple version I showed in my original reply will work in the same way if it's within the number of days specified...  I'd also suggest that you may as well set it running now, mid-November is a decent time to start poking people about Christmas so I'd have those Ads running today...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits