AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Cost for keyword went up %5,600!!!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I dont know what to think but a certain keyword in my account that costed me on an average day like $3.40 or so went yesterday to a sky rocketing $156 ....

There's was no significant competition increase, neither is the keyword a hot term, and no the display network is NOT turned on...

Help !!!

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Cost for keyword went up %5,600!!!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
woah. Are you absolutely sure that is what you paid for an actual click?

Auto bid?

Manual bid?

Conversion Optimizer?

Tell us more about what you campaign setup is like please.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

This is a Manual bid not using conversion optimizer or anything similar.

The bid was price $4.40.

(Is there a possibility of click fraud? is there a possibility to get my Money back somehow?)

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi JaybTiger,

Is this a CPC or daily spend.  I hope you're referring to daily spend here.

I can see this to be alarming but how were the results? 

I'm assuming that you are getting more clicks, which I would see as a positive, if they are good qualified clicks.  Are the CPCs still in line with the days you were spending the lesser amount?  How about your conversions, are those on the increase as well?  Did you notice any changes in your QS over the last few days or make bid changes that could have bumped your ads into a more favorable position? 

Search behavior is sometimes tough to decipher.  You did mention it is not a 'hot' keyword.  How are you determining this.  Does Insights for Search provide any more info to you?

Your search terms reports may also help shed some light on what is going on here.  I would definitely check that out as well. 

I don't have a difinitive answer for you but I think with some comparison and through reporting, you may be able to shed some light on why the sudden increase in activity happened.

One last thought, there may be no significant increase in competition, but there could have been a change that allowed you to land in a better spot, thus getting more action on your ads.

Let us know what you can find out.

Cheers,

Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

wait. Your max CPC is $4.40 manual bid?

Did you just change the bid recently?

If your max bid is $4.40 then I don't see how you could pay $156 per click.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Of course the Impressions went from 25-30 to 1,659 and the clicks went from 5 to 206 in half a day (i paused it in the afternoon in panic!).

Conversion unfortunately stood in range and traffic went slightly up.

No! i did not change the bid (Except yesterday afternoon i decreased it in light of what i saw happening), and the total spending was 156 not the Cost per click.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
OK good to know that the total was $156 not he per click price Smiley Happy

Do you know why you had the huge spike in impressions and clicks? Is there a reason for it or had you made no changes?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

No Changes! the position "dropped" slightly and everything else looks the same (Top secret: i Re-activated the keywords today and everything looks normal... so if something really was an error, how do i get my precious $$ back?)

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

It is a bit unclear if you are referring to an increase in daily spend, or an increase in your cpc.

Potential reasons for a 5000% increase in cpc with manual bidding

• Quality score = 0 for all keywords. Check your site for landing page quality policy violations, and your keywords for relevancy.
  • You accidentally set a really high bid, possibly on the keyword level, in a highly competitive vertical, allowing one or more keywords to go haywire. Go to the history for the adgroup(s) and search for all bid changes. You might find a changed bid on a keyword.

Potential reasons for a 5000% increase in daily spend

• Your account was not using all its daily budget and now it is. Maybe you added some high volume keywords. 
  • You may have set your daily budget higher than what you want to spend.

Remember that

• Google may over-serve your ads with 20% on a given day, but will on average not exceed your daily budget over a 30 day period.
  • A 2000 daily budget means that you will spend 2000 a day - if search volumes, bids and QS allow.
  • A 2000 max CPC bid means that you might potentially pay 2000 for a click.

So make sure your campaign settings are aligned with what you are willing to pay!

You cant return the clicks back to Google, and Google wont pay you back if you set your bids and budgets incorrectly.

Best

Håvard

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
curious...

Any exact match keywords that really took off with impressions yesterday?