AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Correct implementation of Dynamic Remarketing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey, guys. I have deployed the Dynamic Remarketing tag on one of my client's site. It is working, but I have a technical doubt regarding the docs, since they seem kinda contradictory and the internet is full of all kinds of ways to do it correctly.

The official documentation states that ecomm_prodid is required, but at the same time it states that ecomm_prodid should be passed only on product or cart pages. Some non-official articles say it should also be passed on purchase and searchresults pages.

I'd like to know on which pages exactly should it be passed. So far, I have followed the docs: only product and cart pages contain the ecomm_prodid parameter. On other pages, it is not being sent, but I also would like to know the correct way of doing this: if I should send it as an empty string or leave it out entirely.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Correct implementation of Dynamic Remarketing

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Der. L.

the ecomm_prodid is required on product and cart pages, as mentioned on the documentation, and you don't have to have it on the store homepage for example..
As far as purchase and searchresults, you could pass the value if you want. After all, it is for remarketing purposes, and does not affect any conversion value or something you would see on your performance reports.

If you think about that, it could be beneficial to save this info so you can show Dynamic Remarketing Product Ads to the website's visitors in the future if they searched something specific on the website, so I can understand why to include it on searchresults. On purchase, however, the visitor has to go through cart first so I'm not sure what you're getting there that you didn't get via cart.

Hope that helps.

Re: Correct implementation of Dynamic Remarketing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Arik. My main concern are not the reports; rather, the performance of and operation of Google's remarketing algorithms (I believe they have one).

Even though it makes sense to send products ids on the searchresults page, I don't know if Google takes this into account. For example, it would be better for the algorithm to show ads related to products in an abandoned cart instead of showing ads related to products from a search performed on the site since not all products listed in the search results are relevant for the user.

Likewise, a product listed both at the cart and purchase page should not be very relevant since the user bought the product; in essence, if the id is at the cart and the purchase, it is highly probable that the user has not abandoned the cart. These are my main concerns, especially since the documentation does not mention this. If you have more detailed info, I would appreciate if you could share. Thanks.