AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Copy an audience between Search Ad Groups, changes targeting option ?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I configured an audience for a Search Network campaign, in one of the ad groups with the option "Bid" to bid more for people who already visited the site and are part of the audience, to use search remarketing.

Now when I copy-pasted the audience from the AdWords interface in the other ad groups of that Search Campaign, I didn't notice that the targeting changed from "Bid" to "Target and bid" .  I just woke up today to get almost zero traffic in that campaign after the change, probably because the targeting was restricted.

Can someone try to reproduce this incident I am seeing to confirm if it is normal to happen this way ?

The problem is the attributes of the audience are copied (bid adjustment) but the targeting method is reset to the default "target and bid" with the copy-paste operation.

Edit : I also copied the audience from a campaign to ad groups of another campaign just now and it is still happening. The targeting method changes after the copy paste.

Bugs.strip_.zoom_.gif

3 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: Copy an audience between Search Ad Groups, changes targeting optio

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Adrian
I don't use just bid, only ever target and bid, but I can confirm that this is happening for me too.

In fact, this happens with a few other things in AdWords too. I'm not sure if it's designed to work this way (better to be more restrictive than to have advertisers spend in error) or if it's a bug to be honest.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Adrian,
IMO, Bidding option strategy is available at Ad Group level, It is not available at any targeting level - e.g. Keywords + Placement, Keywords + Interest and Remarketing.

Thus If you copy audiences from one Ad Group into other Ad Group, It means you are copying only Audiences, not all Ad Group Setting - like, bidding strategy, ad extension etc.
This is why, when you copy from Audiences from Ad Group into other Ad Group, It accepts only by-default bidding option of new Ad Group.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee
Bid Only vs Target and Bid is indeed a property of the ad group, not each individual criterion (notice how you can't have, say, two audiences in the same ad group, one Bid Only and the other Target and Bid). The UI in the online interface may be somewhat confusing - you choose this setting in Edit Targeting flow, not on Ad Groups tab. But nevertheless, it applies to all criteria of a particular type in the ad group.

You would see the same behavior in AdWords Editor. There, the UI may be more straightforward - the setting is on Ad Groups tab where it belongs. Again, the setting applies to all criteria under the ad group, whether created manually or copied from another ad group (having the same or opposite setting).

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Adrian
I don't use just bid, only ever target and bid, but I can confirm that this is happening for me too.

In fact, this happens with a few other things in AdWords too. I'm not sure if it's designed to work this way (better to be more restrictive than to have advertisers spend in error) or if it's a bug to be honest.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Adrian,
IMO, Bidding option strategy is available at Ad Group level, It is not available at any targeting level - e.g. Keywords + Placement, Keywords + Interest and Remarketing.

Thus If you copy audiences from one Ad Group into other Ad Group, It means you are copying only Audiences, not all Ad Group Setting - like, bidding strategy, ad extension etc.
This is why, when you copy from Audiences from Ad Group into other Ad Group, It accepts only by-default bidding option of new Ad Group.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for testing this situation, I should have been using the AdWords editor instead when setting up these audiences, in there I don't see the same behaviour with copy-paste.

I would have expected all attributes of the audiences to be kept except a back-end ID, like it happens when I copy-paste text ads .

From my perspective Google usually makes traffic more broad not more restricted Smiley Happy

If they didn't include targeting in the copy-paste operation on purpose I wonder what was the logic behind that choice.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Yea, good point. I think what Rakesh said is the reasoning behind it. It actually makes sense this way. It would be nice if there was some consistency.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

"Bidding option strategy is available at Ad Group level, It is not available at any targeting level"

The options to "Target and bid" and "Bid" are available exactly at the targeting level for all the targeted audiences for remarketing.

I would say that targeting settings are setup at the ad group level, so ad group level and targeting level are the same. And since I am copying a targeting it should copy also the targeting settings.

targeting-level.png

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

" It accepts only by-default bidding option of new Ad Group."

The is no default bidding option in a Search Network Ad Group. If there was I could be able to set it up somewhere in the ad group targeting window, without adding a targeting audience just as I would setup "Ad Group Max CPC".

Can you change the ad group bidding option to "bid" if you do not have an audience added to that ad group ? If you could I would agree that it is an option at the ad group level.

The biding option exists as an attribute of the audience and the ad group, the options "target and bid" and "bid" are not defined as attributes of the ad group itself before I add an audience to it.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee
Bid Only vs Target and Bid is indeed a property of the ad group, not each individual criterion (notice how you can't have, say, two audiences in the same ad group, one Bid Only and the other Target and Bid). The UI in the online interface may be somewhat confusing - you choose this setting in Edit Targeting flow, not on Ad Groups tab. But nevertheless, it applies to all criteria of a particular type in the ad group.

You would see the same behavior in AdWords Editor. There, the UI may be more straightforward - the setting is on Ad Groups tab where it belongs. Again, the setting applies to all criteria under the ad group, whether created manually or copied from another ad group (having the same or opposite setting).

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I see, thank you for taking the time to clarify this @AdWordsEng-Igor