AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Conversions not working for remarketing

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, how do I get conversions to work in remarketing campaigns? I have a number of conversions that work fine in normal search campaigns but they aren't recording any conversions for the remarketing lists. I know for a fact that we have had users who have clicked a banner ad and converted but it's recording the initial keyword as a conversion not the banner ad.Does anyone know what I can do to make it record the banner ad as a conversion? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Conversions not working for remarketing

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I have seen that Kandarp and I think that's where I am going wrong. However I am not seeing the option to add the conversion tag anywhere.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Have you applied given code to web page?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Would this be this URL Kandarp? https://support.google.com/adxbuyer/answer/165288

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
I am asking have you inserted the code snippet on to your website?? As per 3 point https://support.google.com/adxbuyer/answer/165288

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes the conversion code is on our website the conversions are working fine for the search campaign.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Anyone have any ideas?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Phil, if the conversion tracking code is working for other Campaigns within the same Account, there's really no reason why it won't work for any other Campaigns.  Conversions are Account level events so once they work for one, they work for all.  If you're not seeing conversions in one particular Campaign within an Account the simplest answer is almost always that that Campaign has not received any conversions.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say the conversion is being recorded against the keyword, not the Ad.  Do you mean that you see no conversion data against your Ads?  If, for example, the numbers for conversion data don't match between the Keywords and Ads in a Group, the most likely answer is that the conversion occurred on an Ad that is no longer visible in that view of the Account, i.e. it's been paused or removed.  Bear in mind conversions can take some time to occur from first click - many weeks in some cases - so it's not uncommon to find Keywords showing conversions that occurred by a click from an Ad no longer active.

If I've missed what you're describing entirely, I apologise and would ask that you try and re-phrase the question!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Cobnut thanks for the reply, I completely forgot about this thread as you may have gathered! What I mean is - in the remarketing campaign, which is a display remarketing campaign, we have a number of banner ads active. When someone clicks on that banner ad, say on Amazon or Ebay, and then complete an action assigned as a conversion, I would have thought that banner ad would record as a conversion within that remarketing campaign, so I know which banner ad is performing better. Instead I believe the keyword initially searched by the user is being credited with the conversion - which is a different search campaign. That does make sense but I would have thought it would be possible to see which banner ad is performing best so I know which ones to keep active and which ones to pause. 

Hope that is clearer?