AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion rate has plummeted since the new year began. Help?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Like the title states, my conversion rate has gone down a tremendous amount since the new year began. From Dec. 16 - 26, my CTR was lower but my conversion was much higher. Ever since the new year, my CTR has risen but my conversion rate went down to almost zero. What should I do differently?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Peter M
September 2015

Re: Conversion rate has plummeted since the new year began. Help?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I agree with  Mohit;

I assume it is a search campaign.

First, this is too short period to evaluate  a performance, especially  that upon launching (during the first 2 weeks) many changes are (usually) done to the  campaign (initial) settings.

Furthermore; the year as just started, and as one in the engineering business, it takes a while between budget approval and purchase order issuing.

And, If you are in North America - the cold weather has slowed business there during the last 2 weeks...

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Conversion rate has plummeted since the new year began. Help?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Edit

Double Post

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Well... There could be many reasons for that;

Initially I would suspect seasonality factors or the bitter cold weather. -

How long this campaign has been running? Have you seen seasonality "effects" in the past?

How long did  it perform well?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've only been working for my new employer for 2 months. Seasonality shouldn't be a factor since we sell software. If anything, the beginning of the year should bring in more traffic since new annual budgets have been approved. The campaign has been running for two weeks. Is that too short?
It performed well for 5 days. Since then, the CTR has risen but the conversion rate has plummeted.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Peter - There are so many variables in play that could have led to the massive decline in conversion rate. First, is this a search campaign? Display campaign? 2 weeks is a very short sample size to gauge expected long term volume from my experiences. A sharp decline like the one you experienced could be a result of a new competitor (like you said, budgets are renewed at the start of the year which may invite increased competition looking to make a splash in the new year). I'm sure you've done this already but i would also go through the sale or conversion funnel for your product to make sure there are no issues on that side as well.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Peter M
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I agree with  Mohit;

I assume it is a search campaign.

First, this is too short period to evaluate  a performance, especially  that upon launching (during the first 2 weeks) many changes are (usually) done to the  campaign (initial) settings.

Furthermore; the year as just started, and as one in the engineering business, it takes a while between budget approval and purchase order issuing.

And, If you are in North America - the cold weather has slowed business there during the last 2 weeks...

-Moshe