AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion Optimizer and Broad Match

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

I've just re-read this Google's article on Conversion Optimizer

I want to focus on this: "Tim is running on the broad match keyword 'surfboard'. Conversion Optimizer is able to see that Tim's ad was also showing for queries such as 'order a custom surfboard' and 'custom made surfboard', both of which performed very well for Tim (low average CPA, high conversion rate). Conversion Optimizer is able to identify this opportunity and make sure Tim's ad showed as often as possible for these two related queries."

If this is so, why should I take the time to make Exact and Phrase match keywords on a CPA Campaign if Google will do that for me showing my ads on the exact terms (out of the Broad keywords) that bring me conversions?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Juanintera
September 2015

Re: Conversion Optimizer and Broad Match

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello.

If not for anything else, at least because you will pay less. Your quality score will improve (but not if you only keep running the broad match keyword), and thus your ad rank will be boosted and you will end up paying less for one click.

What the conversion optimizer sees is an opportunity for that search to convert. It then adjusts the bid to a high enough level to make sure it gets high enough (while still trying, but not guaranteeing to stay under the CPA, if I remember correctly) so that you get the click and hopefully the conversion.

Now, had you checked your account and added the [custom made surfboard] as a keyword in your account as well, the system would choose that keyword to enter the auction, and the bid required to get the click would be much lower.

Hope it makes sense & it helps.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Juanintera,

Good Question!  You could get some varying responses here but I'll give you one.

Obviously your conversion type (lead, registration, e-commerce sale etc...) would have a lot to do with getting a very detailed and technical answer but in general I would suggest you continue to refine your campaigns, it can never hurt you.

If you know about broad match keywords and have seen how they can match for irrelevant search queries and even convert from time to time then this will make some sense.  Do you want Google thinking some irrelevant query that converted a couple times should/could be the focus of your advertising efforts?  Personally, I wouldn't.  

Simply ask yourself if you want Google using conversion data from a refined campaign or a campaign that could be getting clicks and conversions from irrelevant search queries. I prefer the former - I want my traffic to be as refined as possible to provide Google with the best and most relevant conversion data set before I turn the campaign over to them.

My couple cents Smiley Happy

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Juanintera
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello.

If not for anything else, at least because you will pay less. Your quality score will improve (but not if you only keep running the broad match keyword), and thus your ad rank will be boosted and you will end up paying less for one click.

What the conversion optimizer sees is an opportunity for that search to convert. It then adjusts the bid to a high enough level to make sure it gets high enough (while still trying, but not guaranteeing to stay under the CPA, if I remember correctly) so that you get the click and hopefully the conversion.

Now, had you checked your account and added the [custom made surfboard] as a keyword in your account as well, the system would choose that keyword to enter the auction, and the bid required to get the click would be much lower.

Hope it makes sense & it helps.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks guys very knowleadgeable and smart answers! I will continue working on the standard way. Best from Argentina!