AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion Optimizer--CPA bids influence on traffic?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear All,

I have a question about conversion optimizer biding issue. I didn't find much information or materials about this biding strategy.

It is my first time to use CPA bids,  I don't know how to control or optimize it. The situation:

Since this account used the conversion optimizer, the whole performance turn be better, we control the CPA and impression, click, SOV increased. it was a good sign.

but  the traffic suddenly decreased. The brand campaign usually can get hundreds clicks and around 20+ conversion per day. however, it just get 9 clicks and 2 conversion.

Then today the performance turns better again.

So my questions are :

1. Use conversion optimizer, dose the room of optimization is limited? Google will control it by history data, now there is little waste after clean up several rounds of cleaning up search term. we don't need to adjust the CPA bids frequently as CPC biding strategy , so can I say the room of optimization is limited?
  2. Does it have traffic fluctuation suddenly by CPA bids effect? it is normal?
  3. If up bid the CPA biding price, it will bring more traffic, meanwhile the CPA will increased, right?
  4. When use the biding strategy, how can we control the performance?

Million thanks

Shirley

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Conversion Optimizer--CPA bids influence on traffic?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Wong,

I would like to suggest you read the below article, where I have tried to cover all aspects of the CPA bidding strategy.
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Determine-Bid-Strategy-Based-on-Your-Conversio...
Please go though the article and please free to ask the question, if it not cleared.
However, I would not suggest to use CPA strategy in Brands campaigns, Brand terms are something, that your customer already know, so If he/she is searching on your brands, so it means, he is likely to be convert.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello, Shirley.

There's quite a bit of good info in the article Rakesh linked to, but I'd like to provide you with some pinpointed answers.

1. Yes, definitely. For an established budget and an established CPA, you're pretty much set.
2. Traffic can fluctuate, as the optimizer will only bid when the CPA is achievable. If the people performing the searches during certain periods do not match the patterns used by the optimizer, traffic can go down. If more people perform such searches, traffic can go up.
3. Possibly. Depends, again, on the math done by the optimizer. But in theory, yes. However, the CPA increase has to be correlated with the potential shown by the searchers. You may increase it by 5 bucks and not see much of a difference but if you increase it by 15 you may generate a spike.
4. This strategy has one thing in mind: as many acquisitions as possible, at the desired price, within a certain budget and with the current set of targeting criteria. The system controls the performance, right? And saves you the trouble of analyzing times of day and locations and bids and all the other things we analyze when we use manual CPC.

However, there is one thing you can do in such campaigns. If you feel, in time, that you could write better ads, add some more keywords, extend your geographical reach, etc., then you should switch back to manual CPC, perform your changes, let the system run for a while in order to build an updated model and then switch back to CPA.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank You, the article is very helpful. Yes I used the CPA strategy in brand campaign now.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thank you, I like the idea, "you should switch back to manual CPC, perform your changes, let the system run for a while in order to build an updated model and then switch back to CPA." but I concern If I changed back to CPC, do the performance will have big changes? because I used to CPC biding, the CPA is higher than our target, so I changed to CPA strategy, then it is under control. if I changed back to CPC, worried the performance will have big fluctuates, would be?
And one more questions, now the CPA is under our target. but CPA strategy is focus on conversion, not traffic, so current traffic bring higher cost than our budget... if we want to control spending, do we need to change back to CPC biding ?