AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Conservative targeting & Aggressive targeting?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Everyone,

What is difference between Conservative targeting & Aggressive targeting? Try to answer the question in your own words, please do not copy and paste answer from Adwords help. If required then leave source link. 

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pankaj S
September 2015

Re: Conservative targeting & Aggressive targeting?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Pankaj,

These two are called Targeting Optimization, both gives you to get freedom to get some additional reach of your campaigns based on conversions and past historic data.

Conservative targeting means, you allows the AdWords to bring some additional conversions in / around the same CPA. AdWords allows this features from start day of campaign.

Aggressive Targeting is also called Display Campaign optimizer(DCO), which is used, when you want to reach more conversion than the Aggressive targeting. It can be enabled, when your campaigns received 15 conversions at least.
If your campaign have limited budget, you should not target Aggressive Targeting but you can go with Conservative targeting.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Conservative targeting & Aggressive targeting?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rakesh,

when it is worth to switch off targeting. I mean to choose neither aggressive nor conservative targeting.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

is these targeting optimization techniques also applicable for CPM

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Both allow Google to place your ads wherever they want to, regardless of your specific targeting settings. Conservative is a more restrictive version of this setting, and a aggressive is much broader.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rakesh,

what does "It can be enabled, when your campaigns received 15 conversions at least." exactly means? I have already more than 15 conversions and it is still not enable. Is it normal?

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! 15 conversions / month.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Kamila,

I would turn off conservative (and aggressive targeting) anytime you do remarketing. I've had two bad experiences where I forgot to do so and Google just started serving me 95% of non-remarketing traffic and it was pure junk that did not convert at all. And since my remarketing was doing pretty good, I was willing to take ''all the traffic I could get'' at the bids I had back then (taking into consideration the conversion rate), so I had super high daily budgets (which I was not spending until then)... And all of a sudden, during my vacations, ''conservative targeting'' kicked in and generated thousands of $ worth of totally useless, non-remarketing traffic... Which I refunded to my clients afterward. This is absolutely disgusting and a great way to take advertisers away from Google Adwords display remarketing to other platforms such as Adroll or Facebook ads, where this kind of ridiculous stuff does not happen. Do yourself a favor and ALWAYS turn it off at least for remarketing. For other types of campaigns, results may vary.