AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Confusion... Please Help

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

If I am advertising on '+No +Smoking +Signs' , is there a chance that my ad will come up for the search query 'Not Smoking Signs'... Is there a possibilty that No can be replaced by Not..

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Confusion... Please Help

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

No, your keyword will not trigger the search term not smoking signs since "not" is a different word from "no"

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Richa,

I think there is a high possibility of 'not' getting triggerd for 'no'

In the help article this is the condition when you use modified broad match.

"Each word preceded by a + has to appear in your potential customer's search exactly or as a close variant. Close variants include misspellings, singular/plural forms, abbreviations and acronyms, and stemmings (like “floor” and “flooring”)."

So when you consider the stemming 'floor' and 'flooring' as close variants, there is a high possibility that your modified broad match keyword 'no smoking signs' will trigger your ad for the keyword 'not smoking signs'

Thats my understanding,

Deepak

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I will put aside the discussion about the variants that will trigger your ad (though, I agree with info), since the policy prohibits advertising of smoking, and most of related products. (including cigarette alternatives)

Review the Policy before you start advertising and make sure you comply;

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176038?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Moshe,

As per the Tobacco products policy - Google allows the promotion of products for quitting smoking, such as plasters, patches, and gum.

The product here (as per the keywords example) is 'no smoking signs', which actually help to prevent people from smoking.

So this product should not be a violation to the Tobacco product policy.

Can you please confirm?

Deepak

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@info;

This is the exact reason I asked the user to review the Policy; The keywords in the original post can be used in a campaign  for allowed  (per the policy) "quit smoking" or either  for products that are not allowed (e.g e-cigarette) .

So the user should review the policy, and make sure that the landing page complies...Google is very sensitive on health issues...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Richa,

I'd have to say the possibility is low. Do a Google search on both phrases. You will see the organic results are a bit different, as is the order of the sponsored results on the same pages. I would not consider "no" to be the stem of "not", and "not" does not appear to be a close variant of "no" either. This is probably something we will not be able to confirm with Google and will have to settle for observation based analysis.

Also, the Google suggestions when you type in the 2 queries are different. "No smoking signs" are a little different from "Thank you for not smoking" signs and you may find that targeting the two phrases separately could improve your results, both CTR and conversion rates.

My best suggestion is to add both keywords, either in the same ad group or separate ones.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe,

We are selling No Smoking Signs which are accpetable by Google. So there is no worry about that. 

@All Thanks for the answers Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

You could put 'not' in as a negative.