AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Computer-Generated Terms in Search Query Report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In the past year I've noticed an increase in robot or computer-generated keyphrases in my search query reports. For example, one of my clients is a tourist destination and through broad match my ads are showing for queries like:

bargain shopping in orlando florida more:label_bargain_20shopping_20in_20orlando_20florida more:couponing

studio city los angeles california universal studios vacation rentals california los angeles county & catalina island

winter park universal studios orlando florida vacation rentals florida central disney orlando area

hotel deals at disney wrld&propid wy42192&checkout_date 03 2f31 2f2013&brand_id wy&children 0&corporate_id 50913112&usewrpoints

For this particular client my ads show for thousands of these queries. My question is, what is generating these search queries? Are they from websites generating a query based on user input and performing a custom Google search? My other problem is negative matching. Often these queries are a solid string with no spaces or root pattern to negative phrase match. About 3% of the queries are longer than 80 characters, with a maximum length of 128 characters. I rely on broad match to find keyphrases to target and add as exact. I see these queries matched to modified broad match terms. These are becoming increasingly difficult to manage and eliminate. As a last resort I can eliminate broad match keyphrases in my accounts. I see this in the 60 destination and hotel/resort chain clients my agency manages paid search for.

What scares me is the "Other search terms" line item in the search query report interface, where 60% of my impressions are aggregated. I'm certain the bulk of this is from the queries described above.

Do any of you see this in your reports? How do you handle search terms like these?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Computer-Generated Terms in Search Query Report

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Adwordtiser, I have to say I've never seen such terms, but then again, I don't use any broad matches.

I appreciate what you're doing with the broads - using them as a "trawl" for other potential keywords - but they really aren't a very good way to operate an account.  Apart from the very obvious problem you've described, each element of an Adwords account is affected by all other elements.  Your work in creating exact matched groups could well be being harmed by the (I imagine) very poor performance of these broad match terms.

Unless I have keywords that are very uncommon, I never use anything less than a modified broad match, and these modified broads themselves are usually a good source of "new".  In turn, phrase matches are much better at focused responses while still allowing some flexibility for new terms to be made as exacts.

As you say, these terms you're seeing are clearly computer generated but I would only be guessing as to their source.  My advice is to restructure to avoid them and improve your overall account performance in the same stroke.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Computer-Generated Terms in Search Query Report

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

>> bargain shopping in orlando florida more:label_bargain_20shopping_20in_20orlando_20florida more:couponing

This I remember seeing before but have not for a long, long time that I can recall. I'm talking years here.

I think the more: parts are something to do with the user clicking one or more of the suggestions given by Google. I doubt it has anything to do with using broad matched keywords. It is more likely because your keywords are not specific enough to what your client offers. If he's a hotel in Florida, don't bid on the single keyword "florida" which is what I believe you may be doing.

>> studio city los angeles california universal studios vacation rentals california los angeles county & catalina island

This I see fairly often. Multi-word searches and not just one or two but hundreds. I refuse to believe there were that many searches on that particular query. Either someone is using software to do this (why, I have no idea) or more likely, some sort of bug in the Search Query report.

The following type of query

florida hotel false

has been determined it comes from search partners (I've heard only eBay) that their system added the false to the search query by mistake. I've heard it sometimes add "true" and I can't remember the other ("maybe"?) although I've never seen those. From my experience, the "false" is almost always the last term but was the first occasionally.

The "other search terms" as far as I can tell is:

a) because the term gathered no or few clicks,

b) gathered few impressions.

Why not provide information for each query? I believe that it's because of one or both of the following:

a) the cost of storing this information as well as the bandwidth to transmit it would be too high for Google.

b) showing the information on thousands of unique queries (most would be one or two impressions) would be too overwhelming for the user and thus not practical and virtually useless.

Another reason may be that not enough users actually use this feature thus justifying a) and b).

By using more than just broad matches and more tightly knit keyword choices, you should have a lesser percentage of "other search terms".

There's also a point of diminishing returns and value over the work put in to take into account. Creating an 80-character keyword that may never be used again just because someone used it once is a waste of effort. Stick with the most common usage. So "hotels in orlando", "orlando hotels" and such are OK if a certain percentage of searchers use them but not "hotels that are in orlando" which is probably very few and really bring little benefit to your campaign.