AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Competitor clicking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How can I detect, identify and confirm a suspected competitor that may be clicking on my add in order to drain my account balance? I apologize if this has already been addressed somewhere, but I am new to this. Thank you!

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Competitor clicking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi newgauser,

You'll need to look through your web logs for AdWords clicks and see if you get repeated clicks from the same IP address. In your logs, look for the presence of a gclid value in the query string, do not use the referrer data as it an unreliable method of identifying the traffic.

If you notice on IP has unusually high number of clicks, you can block that IP address from seeing your ads.

Have you added the invalid click column to the campaign tab? If not, you might want to do that. It will show you on a campaign basis how many invalid clicks have been credited to your account. You can also get a look at the total number of invalid clicks in a billing cycle in the billing information.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi newgauser,

You'll need to look through your web logs for AdWords clicks and see if you get repeated clicks from the same IP address. In your logs, look for the presence of a gclid value in the query string, do not use the referrer data as it an unreliable method of identifying the traffic.

If you notice on IP has unusually high number of clicks, you can block that IP address from seeing your ads.

Have you added the invalid click column to the campaign tab? If not, you might want to do that. It will show you on a campaign basis how many invalid clicks have been credited to your account. You can also get a look at the total number of invalid clicks in a billing cycle in the billing information.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When you say look at web logs, how do you do this? Is this through cpanel hosting of website, or through adwords?

Also how do you add the invalid click column?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I think there is a setting which enables you to limit the amount of times a person sees your ad. You can perhaps set it to 5 times. Once that person has had your ad displayed to them 5 times, it will be displayed to them no more.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Try opentracker.net to track IP addresses of clicks to your website, as well as where they came from to arrive at your site, ISP information, etc. I just started using it today and have confirmed my suspicion of a malicious competitor clicking my ads like crazy almost every day. Just submitted an investigation request to Google. I hope they do something terrible to this person, or ban him from AdWords. *Hope* good luck.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
This feature available in display remarketing campaigns and its called frequency capping. But this is used to control the traffic and it may not be an answer for invalid clicks Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That feature would be nice but I only use the search network. Can you set
caps somewhere with that network?
Travis Barton

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
In truth Google is very good at identifying suspicious behaviour such as this and you will often find that the cost of these invalid clicks has been returned before you even notice it's going on. This is not to say you should not keep an eye on things, but you should not obsess ;-)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
They're good but they're not THAT good! We will see what my elevated investigation comes up with. But if you're not obsessing over clicks when using AdWords I don't think you're doing business very effectively. *my opinion. Thanks for the reply though stickleback