AdWords
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Competing campaigns?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am considering two agencies to manage my AdWords campaigns, and I want to try them both out at the same time. However that means I will have multiple campaigns on my account competing for the same keywords & traffic.

Is this a bad idea? The way I see it, all that matters is which agency produces better results. Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance,

Barry

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author BarryF
September 2015

Re: Competing campaigns?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi BarryF,

That's not going to work out very well for you. Only one ad per account will show at a time, and one one ad per domain will show at a time. The two campaigns will compete for clicks and it will not result in a split test. The campaign with the higher ad rank will always win the "mini auction" within your account.

This means one agency can bid high--high enough to eat all your profits--to get the impressions and clicks. That high bid could result in low conversion rates. The other campaign might produce fewer impressions, better CTR, and better conversion rates, but it will never get a chance even to try.

In theory, running a head-to-head test would be the best thing to do. That eliminates all variables that are outside your control when comparing the results of the 2 agencies. In practice, it's just not going to happen the way you have envisioned.

I think you might be better off defining your goal for AdWords for one agency at a time, and have them work toward that goal. If results are not satisfactory, go on to the next agency.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author BarryF
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi BarryF,

That's not going to work out very well for you. Only one ad per account will show at a time, and one one ad per domain will show at a time. The two campaigns will compete for clicks and it will not result in a split test. The campaign with the higher ad rank will always win the "mini auction" within your account.

This means one agency can bid high--high enough to eat all your profits--to get the impressions and clicks. That high bid could result in low conversion rates. The other campaign might produce fewer impressions, better CTR, and better conversion rates, but it will never get a chance even to try.

In theory, running a head-to-head test would be the best thing to do. That eliminates all variables that are outside your control when comparing the results of the 2 agencies. In practice, it's just not going to happen the way you have envisioned.

I think you might be better off defining your goal for AdWords for one agency at a time, and have them work toward that goal. If results are not satisfactory, go on to the next agency.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Barry
You'd have to be verrrrrry careful with this. One could bid things up, getting more traffic but at a much higher cpc.

I'm not even sure AdWords would allow this - it could be considered double serving.

You could possibly give each of them a different part of your target keywords, and see how they fly. Again, with different kws, it would be hard to compare.

Do you have anything running? If you give each a different part of the KS space, you could see who improved things the most.

You would need to define it all very carefully. I wouldn't recommend it!

Phil

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello  Barry;

In addition to the convincing arguments above; I would add that by the revised version of "double serving", (May 2012), if you target the same domain selling the same products you are violating the double serving

"To comply with this policy, advertisers should avoid running ads from different accounts on the same or similar keywords that point to the same or similar websites. Violations of this policy occur when multiple websites share Common Ownership (defined below), plus when two or more of the following factors are present:" 

"Common product offering:

Similar pricing

Similar customer support experience:

Brand"

This seems to be your case - doesn't it?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks to everyone for your reply! Smiley Happy

Barry

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

It's just a bad idea to have two agency managing your adwords account altogether. You should really conslidate your vendors and have one company do all the work for you.