AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Close Variants

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In regards to close variants, if I use the automotive term "chevy" will my ads show for "Chev" and "Chevrolet" as well, or do I need to add them as separate keywords?

Also, if I have a brand name like Coca-Cola, do I need to have separate keywords for "coca-cola", "coca cola", and "cocacola"?

Finally, if I have a keyword such as "auto accessories", do I need to also have "truck accessories", "car accessories", "SUV accessories", etc, or does the close variants associate the "auto accessories" keyword with the others?

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kirk S
September 2015

Re: Close Variants

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Krik

It depends on the match type that you would be using, if you are using exact match then the result will be as follows:

For the first part("chevy" will trigger "chev" and "chevorlet"), there are chances that "chevy" will trigger "chev" but will not trigger "chevorlet" definitely. 

For the second part(coca-cola), you don't need to add the variations that you have mentioned in the post, they will be triggered from the "coca-cola".

For the third part("auto accessories"), close variant will not trigger the mentioned keywords from the keyword "auto accessories".

In-case of broad match keywords, the result for first and third will change.

I suggest that you read more about keywords match types at the Google Help center, please go through the link below:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Hope that helps!

Abhishek

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Kirk,

There's no real way to figure out in advance whether chevrolet is considered a close variant of chevy other than to run the ads and check the search terms for that keyword. Close variants are usually plurals and synonyms. The synonyms come from a db somewhere, and Google doesn't really reveal what those are.

The question about Coca-Cola is easy to answer. Google ignores case and special characters like hyphens and spaces. All three of the variations you've shown are equivalent to Google.

I would suggest, on the chevy issue, add both chevy and chevrolet.

For the last part of your question, you'll probably want to show different ads for cars, trucks, SUV's etc, so I's suggest different AdGroups for each with ad copy that include "Car accessories", "Truck accessories", etc.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kirk S
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Krik

It depends on the match type that you would be using, if you are using exact match then the result will be as follows:

For the first part("chevy" will trigger "chev" and "chevorlet"), there are chances that "chevy" will trigger "chev" but will not trigger "chevorlet" definitely. 

For the second part(coca-cola), you don't need to add the variations that you have mentioned in the post, they will be triggered from the "coca-cola".

For the third part("auto accessories"), close variant will not trigger the mentioned keywords from the keyword "auto accessories".

In-case of broad match keywords, the result for first and third will change.

I suggest that you read more about keywords match types at the Google Help center, please go through the link below:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Hope that helps!

Abhishek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply. I had looked through all of the published info on close variants and was not able to determine the answers to my specific questions.

Much appreciated!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Kirk,

There's no real way to figure out in advance whether chevrolet is considered a close variant of chevy other than to run the ads and check the search terms for that keyword. Close variants are usually plurals and synonyms. The synonyms come from a db somewhere, and Google doesn't really reveal what those are.

The question about Coca-Cola is easy to answer. Google ignores case and special characters like hyphens and spaces. All three of the variations you've shown are equivalent to Google.

I would suggest, on the chevy issue, add both chevy and chevrolet.

For the last part of your question, you'll probably want to show different ads for cars, trucks, SUV's etc, so I's suggest different AdGroups for each with ad copy that include "Car accessories", "Truck accessories", etc.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Pete!