AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Close Variants on Exact Keywords

Rising Star
# 1
Rising Star

We have two keywords, in different ad groups, that are cannibalising each other Smiley Sad

[web design]

[website design]

Looking at search query reports, searches for "website design" are bringing in the most conversions. But the impressions are mostly being triggered by the keyword [web design].

Searches for "web design" aren't doing as well, and are mostly triggered by the keyword [website design].

We want to continue running both keywords, but it is very confusing trying to work out how to optimise them.  Is there any way to stop this from happening?

4 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rakesh Kumar (Top Contributor)
January 2016

Re: Close Variants on Exact Keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @RobSkelton,

Both of the keywords are similar to each other. So similar that if they get considered as close variants to each other, it won't be surprising. Now when it comes to optimizing them for performance, I would prioritize the one which is bringing better CTR and higher number of conversions. I would bid comparatively higher on the better performing one. It would avoid an inner competition between the two, and the one which is performing better will get more exposure. 

However, if both of them are doing almost similar, I would let them be the way are. There may be infighting to some extent where they would compete to enter into the auction. But, I won't bother much about it as long as they performing fine. 

Finally, I don't think there would be any cannibalization. Why? Because only one of them is supposed to enter the auction at a time. The introduction of other variant is not going to impact the overall reach or exposure of your advertising. There might be situations when the second keyword in question would be more likely to trigger ads which might otherwise have been missed by first keyword.  Hence, it's going to bridge the gap, not to cannibalize. 

My two cents. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @RobSkelton@Ratan-Jha is quite correct that these two Keywords are almost certainly seen as close variants of each other, however, I'm a little surprised you're not seeing a closer match between the search terms and the Keywords.  When more than one Keyword can match to a search term, AdWords will usually match to the Keyword that most closely matches the search term so regardless of variants, a search on web design should most often be matching to the Keyword [web design].

Other factors must be coming into play here.  How do the CPCs differ between the two Keywords?  Are you using any automated bidding strategies such as conversion optimisation?  How do the Ads and landing pages differ?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Thanks for your replies, I figured as much.

The ads are the same, with "web design" in the title. The landing page is the same. The bids are the same.

I guess the real question is why one keyword doesn't dominate for both queries. Or why don't each match their counterpart queries better.

This is a rare case where I which close variants could be switched off...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@RobSkelton not that it's necessarily a solution, but have you experimented with using "website design" in the Headline for the Group containing that Keyword (to be honest, this would seem logical anyway).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I don't wish to be rude, but.... I have to ask....

If you are using these two very similar keywords (which it's probably fair to say are interchangeable) and you are sending the traffic to the same landing page - thus removing any distinction between them in terms of UX - then why are you worrying about which keyword/search term triggers the visit?

Close Variants on Exact Keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

A simple solution is to add the negative exact match keyword [web design] to your "website design" ad group, and the negative exact match keyword [website design] to your "web design" ad group.