AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Clicks for Terms With Location Intent Outside Campaign Target

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

In looking through the search terms report, I am finding clicks for search terms that included a location name outside of the target location setting for the campaign.  So for example let's say I am targeting the phrase match "plumbing service" and the campaign location setting is for the city of Seattle, WA, USA.  My ad is displayed if someone types "san francisco plumbing service" who is located in Seattle (maybe they are looking for service for a rental home or a relative who lives in San Francisco.)  But my ad will also show up if someone who is NOT located in Seattle, types "Seattle Plumbing Service" due to the search term intent being for Seattle.

If Google is able to determine a location intent, why can't there be a filter that is the converse in which if there is a location intent other than the location setting area (like San Francisco), then exclude displaying the ad!

If this is not a function it leaves very poor options to address the issues such as:

(a) enter city names in negative keyword matching for all cities in the United States

(b) Change from phrase match to exact match only for all keywords - not really realistic

Is there a better way?

Re: Clicks for Terms With Location Intent Outside Campaign Target

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Jeff.

Adwords already has a feature to Exclude these issues via the  exclude targeting options.  The same way you include where you want to be seen, you can exclude area.   Also then you want to make sure in your location targeting you chose.

Location options (advanced)

Exclude  

In the image example below, I am targeting two area's outside of LA, but excluding all the other counties, area's in which I do not want my add to be shown based on the IP. ( because we don't service those area's)
( the full view you would see most of the World in Red(excluded) a bit overboard but every impression counts.

exlude.JPG

From the Dimensions Tab click down to Geographic  reporting you may want to also exclude other foreign countries that are giving you impressions.  Those impression count against your CTR which hurts your Quality scores etc

If you are managing the account to optimal performance, you will want to add some of those Negative keywords as well.

Hope that helps ( and that I understood your question correctly)

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Ah yes, I forgot about location exclusions.  But I'm not sure that is really the solution I'm looking for because I want someone in San Francisco to see my add if they type "Seattle Plumbing Service"  So if I have an included location of Seattle and an excluded location of all other areas, how does Google reconcile the conflict?  Does search intent trump physical location of the user?  If it does, would excluding all other 49 states (excluding each individual city would be cumbersome) end up excluding all searches with intent of any cities inside of those states or do I need to exclude all the city names (that would put me back to square one.)

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Jeff,

Question:
So if I have an included location of Seattle and an excluded location of all other areas, how does Google reconcile the conflict? IT doesn't, they just don't show the ad

Question:
Does search intent trump physical location of the user? Depends - Mostly search intent will bring in all ads that are targeted for that area. But if you have excluded an area in which the user is located then the ad will not be seen. On Mobile it is all about IP location.

Based upon your situation, it would be best to view your own data, and determine based upon ROI, if people in GEO area XYZ convert or don't and make decisions based on your actual data. You can target any area's you want and use bid modifier to down bid if the results are poor, or even just exclude those location totally. Your call based on your data.

In your described want someone from San Fran to see your Seattle ad if they type in Seattle, is a going to be biased based on the product or service. If you truly are a Plumber or similar business model, I wouldn't waste my budget or clicks on someone outside the service area ( initially) and attempt to maximize profits based on my budget serving my intended target base only. Once I achieve a good CTR, QS and ROI based on my local market and have 100% impression share for my terms, then I would create a similar campaign that targets other area's.

However you want to set up your campaign is up to you, just let your data determine what is the best ROI based upon your spend.

Maybe someone else will chime in with a few idea's ....