AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Clicks but no calls

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I've been working on Adwords call only campaigns for some time now. The issue I've been facing is that I see clicks everyday, but actually get no call. I'm paying for the call only clicks, but in reality getting no calls. Can anybody explain how is this happening? Thank you in advance.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mainak Banerjee
December 2015

Re: Clicks but no calls

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Though using Google forwarding number gives advanced call reporting as compared to using own number.

Actually the call through call only campaigns is initiated in 2 steps, 1st is user click the number to call and 2nd there is a need to dial that number which is on the display after clicking.
The reason may be that user has clicked but have not dialled the number due to any reason and hence they is no call, only click are there.

Go for the search term report and check whether the user queries were irrelevant. if yes add all those irrelevant search terms as negative to prevent your ads triggering on such queries and unnecessary budget consumption.

Also change your match type for the keywords to limit or control impressions and clicks.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Mainak,

Have you cross checked whether you have mentioned the correct number in your ads or it is in working condition or any type of forwarding used for that number?

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes, we have. There are no issues with that.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Have you checked adwords statistics for phone calls?
Go to columns >> modify columns >> call details >> phone call(add this) >> save.

Now check if adwords showing any counts as phone calls.

One more thing to ask, how are you tracking the calls?

Regards

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for the help. Did as suggested. Showing no calls. But a click is showing. We have our own phone numbers and not Google numbers and hence have our own tracking system.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mainak Banerjee
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Though using Google forwarding number gives advanced call reporting as compared to using own number.

Actually the call through call only campaigns is initiated in 2 steps, 1st is user click the number to call and 2nd there is a need to dial that number which is on the display after clicking.
The reason may be that user has clicked but have not dialled the number due to any reason and hence they is no call, only click are there.

Go for the search term report and check whether the user queries were irrelevant. if yes add all those irrelevant search terms as negative to prevent your ads triggering on such queries and unnecessary budget consumption.

Also change your match type for the keywords to limit or control impressions and clicks.

Regards

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Mainak Banerjee,

You already have nice suggestions from @Archit. I will only be adding a few things -

• How many clicks have you been getting everyday on an average? All clicks cannot be expected to convert into calls practically. 
  • Are those clicks from relevant search queries? Check with Search Query Report and work accordingly. Relevancy is the key.
  • Are you taking up the full character limits when writing ad texts? Make sure your ads are appearing complete on those small screen devices. Make sure they are not being cut off.
  • Do not be obsessed with keywords while writing ads. Make an intelligent balance of keywords and to-the-point sales pitch.
  • Did you try segmenting data by Search Network Type? See if Partner Searches are fruitful and relevant or not. 
  • Finally, a tip from my personal experiences - bid for the second position, not for the #1. It will help you keep accidental clicks at bay.

All the best.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I. too, have found Click to Call to be frustrating. I think it will work on a few types of ads - if, for example, I need a locksmith I would be happy to click and call. But for most users I find the transition too abrupt - I run a search and the results come up on my phone - I click on the ad - and at this point I am expecting to go to the website... but instead I am faced with my phone with a predialled number waiting for me to place the call.

To me - and I am sure for many - this feels like a mistake - something has gone wrong. I don't recognise the number and even if I realised that this was asking me to place a call to the company whose ad I just clicked - I am probably not ready to do that... I wanted to check the site, see where they are based, see if there are any price indications, etc.

At this point I panic and hit the cancel button.... so on the reporting there was a click and no call.

I had mistakenly understood - when these ads were launched - that the click to call meant exactly that - i.e. click on the ad and the call is placed. It does not. You click on the ad and then have to decide to place the call. I for one am waiting for the general public to get used to this procedure before I will run more click to call ads. I prefer the call extension where a person is actively clicking on a link understanding that it is a phone number and that they will be placing a call.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
From my practical experience, call only ads always have very high cpl as compared to other types.
Even i am getting just 2-3 call after 20 clicks and sometimes no call upto 25 clicks.

So i think every thing fine with the settings, just optimize your campaign to avoid irrelevant traffic/clicks.

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Good observations, thank you for this