AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Click to Call - Using my own Toll Free number?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am new to CLICK TO CALL, i have setup my ads (not running yet) I have 2 questions:

1 - How do i get my TOLL FREE number to show up - the "1" is missing when i see it in the AD Extensions area? I want to ensure when its clicked and dialed the "1" is actually there

2 - Why do i need a website address when making the ad? when I selected I dont want website listed, only Phone Number?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Click to Call - Using my own Toll Free number?

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

If you wish to advertise click-to-call only, you can do that... Except for those cases where the particular device/network situation does not allow a call to be made. Even if you select only mobile devices, and only click-to-call, if that mobile device is connecting to the internet over a wifi network for example, the wifi network cannot/will not allow a phone call to be completed. A phone call can only be initiated via a carrier network connection to the internet, not over wifi. So, there always has to be a "back-up" destination URL (not to mention the fact that a dest. URL is always required for every ad) to a click-to-call click/call in those cases. You cannot have a truly click-to-call only campaign, without an incredible level of specifity (is that a word?), even then, there's no guarantee that every single click will be a click-to-call click. Not yet anyway. Smiley Happy

Regardless of which call extension type you are using, the ad extensions tab does not display the 1. However, the live ad will display the 1. Whether it is your toll free number, or the google call forwarding toll free number. If you add the 1 when creating the extension, and click save, the 1 will be dropped, bith from the displayed number in the account/campaign call extensions tab, and the create/edit ad extension box where you put the 1 to begin with.

Did any of that make sense? This call extension stuff can still be really confusing. Smiley Happy I don't know if I have yet been able to figure out how to explain what I see. Smiley Happy

Tom

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

If you wish to advertise click-to-call only, you can do that... Except for those cases where the particular device/network situation does not allow a call to be made. Even if you select only mobile devices, and only click-to-call, if that mobile device is connecting to the internet over a wifi network for example, the wifi network cannot/will not allow a phone call to be completed. A phone call can only be initiated via a carrier network connection to the internet, not over wifi. So, there always has to be a "back-up" destination URL (not to mention the fact that a dest. URL is always required for every ad) to a click-to-call click/call in those cases. You cannot have a truly click-to-call only campaign, without an incredible level of specifity (is that a word?), even then, there's no guarantee that every single click will be a click-to-call click. Not yet anyway. Smiley Happy

Regardless of which call extension type you are using, the ad extensions tab does not display the 1. However, the live ad will display the 1. Whether it is your toll free number, or the google call forwarding toll free number. If you add the 1 when creating the extension, and click save, the 1 will be dropped, bith from the displayed number in the account/campaign call extensions tab, and the create/edit ad extension box where you put the 1 to begin with.

Did any of that make sense? This call extension stuff can still be really confusing. Smiley Happy I don't know if I have yet been able to figure out how to explain what I see. Smiley Happy

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Tom! So just to confirm - the "1" will be activated (dialed) when someone clicks on the CALL button or LINKED phone number?

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Yes.

Tom