AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Click-to-Call Headline vs Click-to-Call Extension

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What happened with the (black) ad headline on click-to-call only mobile ads?

Now the ad headline "hides" click-to-call extension -- and the result is:

1) user thinks that's a regular ad headline (hyperlink), and after the dialer pops up they hit back/cancel

2) 50% of click-to-calls are cancelled

3) real CPC = 2 x CPC => 2 x CPA (...)

4) users are misled, and the advertiser has to pay double for each click

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Click-to-Call Headline vs Click-to-Call Extension

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

I am confused as to what has happened, I thought, with click to call only, only the phone number was clickable. Has that changed, is only the headline clickable now? That would be very interesting, and may explain some of the data I have been seeing lately...

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes - if you're using click-to-call only, ad headline is both headline and call extension. E.g:

MY PRODUCT SOMETHING or

(XXX) XXX XXX MY PRODUCT SOMETHING

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

That does explain quite a bit...

I had been absolutely convinced that if calls generated the majority of your sales, and/or if you did not have a mobile friendly site, then click to call only was absolutely the way to go. However, the dimensions tab data seems to tell a different story. Are you using standard call extensions, or google voice enabled call extensions? If the latter, then you can see call type, duration, missed/recieved, area code, date and time, etc. in the dimensions tab under call details.

It seems like click to call only ccertainly generates more initiated calls, but fewer quality calls. What if you tried some slightly different ad text, and try to make it clear that a click will result in a call? Or, having a mobile landing page, with a click to call button on the page? If you give users the option, they still may or may not want to call at that time, but the clicks segment split, and analytics data would you give you some further indication of user intent. I don't know if the majority of mobile users are yet really familiar or comfortable yet with click to call only, or not. This change in the ad format will surely add to the confusion. We're just going to have to find a way to work with/around the new format. Smiley Happy

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good thinking tomhalejr. Mobile website or landing page is the way to go, but at this moment the only solution for me is click-to-call.

I have both call extensions types (different campaigns of course) but looks like there's no difference. Moreover, I see headline clicks. That may the result of showing headline-extension on iPods and similar devices (now I'm just guessing).

I'm just pissed off because Google representative persuaded me to build a whole new set of mobile-only campaigns (cheaper click, growing traffic, fancy charts, blah blah) -- which looked like a good idea at the moment, but now I've ended up paying twice for each call. Before the update, CTR was lower, CPC was higher, but you get what you’ve paid for, and the customer experience was better. 

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

"That may the result of showing headline-extension on iPods and similar devices (now I'm just guessing)." 

That is a very astute observation. You still cannot target only iPhones, and not iPod (touch), so some mobile devices not capable of making a phone call, will still be shown ads for mobile only, call focused campaigns. But, as I understand it, if you select click-to-call only call extensions (standard, or google voice), for mobile device only targeted campaigns, if a device is not capable of making a phone call, no (click-to-call only) ads will be shown.

Where are you seeing these ads - With live results, or using the ad preview tool? I don't trust the accuracy of the preview tool at all when it comes to phone extensions. 

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

"But, as I understand it, if you select click-to-call only call extensions (standard, or google voice), for mobile device only targeted campaigns, if a device is not capable of making a phone call, no (click-to-call only) ads will be shown."

Same here, but..

Click-to-call only - and still receiving headline clicks. Adds another 5% to already doubled CPA.

Device

Click type

Campaign

Budget

Status

Clicks

Impressions

CTR

Avg. position

Avg. CPC

Cost

Invalid clicks

Invalid click rate

Mobile devices with full browsers

Headline

xxxx

eligible

3.62%

5.00%

Sitelink

xxxx

eligible

0.00%

0.00%

Phone calls

xxxx

eligible

4.96%

23.26%

I've tested it live, but it’s not possible to test thousands of ads. It's hard to track what's Google is doing these days. I have to rely on the reports and there I see headline clicks and calls that are not received. 

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

In this table, are phone calls, click-to-call clicks, from the click segment, in the campaigns tab?

$56 in additional un-intended/unwanted adbuy costs does suck a bit... but, if each click-to-call click is considered a call, that's only an additional 5% cost, per click to call click, right? That still sucks, but click-to-call only targeting is still not perfect. The algortithim has to interpret every device, operating system, and carrier. As I understand it, if the mobile device is connecting via wi-fi only, then the phone cannot make a call, through the wi-fi network. It can only make a call if connected to the mobile service providers network. In theory, an ad should not show for that device, that operating system, when connected to a network that prevents a call from being initiated, but that may not always be the case. Could you expeiment with not targeting wi-fi networks for this campaign, and see if the headline clicks decrease?

There's something about the invalid click numbers that just don't look right. Picking three of the top click generating clients I have access to, 5% was the average (total clicks for account). A full 25-30% of clicks seems way high. I don't know how to segment invalid clicks by click type. How did you find those numbers?

Where are the CPA numbers? If each click to call click is considered a call, and each call a conversion, has the average CPC doubled over time? 

"calls that are not received" Would seem to be the heart of the issue. What sources are you using to determine recieved calls? The dimensions tab, or call center data - using dedicated phone lines for adwords calls only? It seems like the dimensions tab recieved calls are much closer to actual call center call totals, but it's very difficult to run that experiment, and track the results. One thing is sure, the clicks type segment data, and the dimensions tab call details data NEVER seems to match up at all.

When you live searched for the ads, did you click on any? Were you taken to the site, or was a call initiated? Sure it may cost a couple of bucks, but that might help verify the possible ad format change, or provide some more insight as to what else could be going on.

Tom

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager
This 2012 thread has been closed to new replies.

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question. 

This will improve the visibility of your question as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.