AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

City Names as Negative Keywords question- do they it block your ads from appearing in those cities?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Say I want to sell Apples in Orlando, Florida.  I only want my ads to appear to people who are located within Orlando, Florida and search for Apples without the city name in the search.  

So I setup my geograph area for Orlando and I setup my keyword to be Apples.  But then I want to block my ads from being seen by anyone who searches "Apples Orlando," so I add a negative keyword to my campaign: "Orlando".

Will this prevent my ads from being seen in Orlando by people who are searching from within Orlando, even if the search is just "Apples" without the city name?  Or will it only block searches where the person is located in the city of orlando and searches for "Apples Orlando"?

Thank you for any input.  

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Advanced Location Targeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello XavierKrensky; Welcome;

This is a nice question that goes into the "tuning" of Geo- targeting .

If you target Orlando, and you want your ad to appear for those who are physically in the Orlando, but NOT to those searching About Orlando set the "advanced locations options" to "people in my targeted location".

We have put two articles about targeting, that explains it all:

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello XavierKrensky; Welcome;

This is a nice question that goes into the "tuning" of Geo- targeting .

If you target Orlando, and you want your ad to appear for those who are physically in the Orlando, but NOT to those searching About Orlando set the "advanced locations options" to "people in my targeted location".

We have put two articles about targeting, that explains it all:

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I read both articles, but didnt find anything about the case, when someone actually enters orlando as a negative.

Let's say, Moshe, that you target Orlando physically but exclude by intent.

This would mean, that anyone who searches for "orlando apples" will not trigger "apples" but "orlando apples" since you do not INCLUDE by intent.

But what happens if you INCLUDE by intent, have two targeting regions "orlando" and "miami". What happens if you put in orlando as a negative. 

Is the location term "orlando" stripped BEFORE keyword matching (and negatives matching) by the adwords enginge, or afterwards?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi ArneTR;

We are talking two different targeting issues here : (If I got you right Smiley Happy)

The OP wants to sell apples in Orlando, ("Say I want to sell Apples in Orlando, Florida. I only want my ads to appear to people who are located within Orlando") while you are referring to Orlando Apples (meaning apples grown in Orlando - If apples are grown there...)

The first is Geo targeting, while (I think ) you are referring to KW match types.

-Moshe

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Xavier Krensky

If you have a negative keyword of "Orlando" your ad won't show when people type in the word "Orlando" into their search query. This won't in and of itself stop your ads from showing in the Orlando area. That would be controlled by your geo-targeting preferences. 

Hope this helps!

A. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
OK thank you- this answers my question. I was concerned because I had read somewhere that negative keywords that were also the names of geographic areas (cities, counties, states) would exclude geographical displays as well.

My issue is that I want to exclude my ads from appearing to people who may be looking for, say, REVIEWS on Apples from Orlando and who would see my ad intending to be displayed for people buying apples sold locally in Orlando. Those review seekers might click my ads, looking for reviews or something other than a source to buy apples.

From what I understand, if a search is done that includes a geographic location, that will display ads intended for that geographic location even if the person searching is not located in that geographic location- someone in Houston could search "Orlando Apples" and see my ads, which are intended only for people from a physical location in Orlando. Is this correct?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello again XavierKrensky;

See my answers within the text

XavierKrensky wrote:

My issue is that I want to exclude my ads from appearing to people who may be looking for, say, REVIEWS on Apples from Orlando and who would see my ad intending to be displayed for people buying apples sold locally in Orlando. Those review seekers might click my ads, looking for reviews or something other than a source to buy apples. - This best done by using negative keywords

From what I understand, if a search is done that includes a geographic location, that will display ads intended for that geographic location even if the person searching is not located in that geographic location- someone in Houston could search "Orlando Apples" and see my ads, which are intended only for people from a physical location in Orlando. Is this correct? - The default is: "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location, however, you can choose "People in your targeted location". - Choosing this option - your ad will be shown only to people physically located in Orlando
http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722038