AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Checkbox: "Use the currency provided with the value in Analytics"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

I understand that you can now insert transaction/conversion value in AdWords or Analytics using specific currency, rather than just "value" without any currency. I also understand that if you use the currency option then Google will convert the value into the base currency of the AdWords account.

If you're importing conversions from Google Analytics then you also have currency there and it optimally it will match the currency in your AdWords account. Hopefully your AdWords Costs and Transaction Values will be in the same currency to calculate ROI correctly, but I've seen many case these don't match. 

Most of this is documented here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3419241?hl=en

When you create a new conversion type in AdWords, then you now have a choice of which currency to default to (per currency code). When you are importing conversions from Analytics then the conversion page looks different. There isn't an option for a currency, because it's getting the value from Analytics. Instead of the currency drop-down option, there is a checkbox called 'Use the currency provided with the value in Analytics" that seems to be utterly undocumented. If you search for this exact term in Google there is exactly 1 result on the SERP to the AdWords Community.

Here's my question: What does this setting actually do?

analytics currency.png

It's my belief that:

A) If the box is unchecked, then the value comes across as straight value without currency conversion. For example, if your AdWords costs were in USD, but your analytics account was set up in EUR, you would receive the value in EUR.

B) If the box is checked that AdWords/Analytics would work together to convert this to USD from EUR (or whatever currencies the transactions originally came in from).

Could anyone confirm what this setting actually does?

Thanks,

jason

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason L
September 2015

Re: Checkbox: "Use the currency provided with the value in Analyt

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

Hi Jason,

If "Use the currency provided with the value in Analytics " is unchecked (but still "The value of this conversion action is managed in Analytics" is active) means that the value only from GA will be used and AW currency inherited. So 100 EUR from GA will be imported as 100 USD in AW

If "Use the currency provided with the value in Analytics " is checked, the value and currency from GA will be used, thus currency conversion needs to happen. So 100 EUR from GA will be imported as 113 USD in AW.

Kathleen
*This post has been edited for correctness 

View solution in original post

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Jason,
I'm seeking clarification for you on this matter.

Sit tight,
Kathleen

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager
Hi Jason,

To confirm, if you check the box, then the value is pulled in from Analytics. Otherwise, the currency is converted to that of the AdWords account from what it is in the Analytics account.

Let me know if you have any further questions!
Kathleen

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for the follow up. Based on what we've seen in an AdWords account, I have to clarify your response.

You said: "Otherwise, the currency is converted to that of the AdWords account.", but it doesn't appear that currency conversion happens. With this box unchecked it *appears* that value is passed without currency.

Please allow me to clarify with two examples.

Example 1

The client has AdWords costs in USD, but Analytics is using EUR. The current exchange rate is 100 EUR to 113 USD. A transaction with the value of 100 EUR is recorded. 

With the box checked - the value in Adwords will be what?

A) 100

B) 113

With the box unchecked - the value in AdWords will be what?

A) 100

B) 113

Example 2

Same client, but a transaction comes in with 100 GBP and the current exchange rate is 100 GBP = 153 USD, 134 EUR.

With the box checked - the value in Adwords will be what?

A) 100

B) 134

C) 153

With the box unchecked, the value in AdWords will be what?

A) 100

B) 134

C) 153

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason L
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

Hi Jason,

If "Use the currency provided with the value in Analytics " is unchecked (but still "The value of this conversion action is managed in Analytics" is active) means that the value only from GA will be used and AW currency inherited. So 100 EUR from GA will be imported as 100 USD in AW

If "Use the currency provided with the value in Analytics " is checked, the value and currency from GA will be used, thus currency conversion needs to happen. So 100 EUR from GA will be imported as 113 USD in AW.

Kathleen
*This post has been edited for correctness