AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Charged way over first page bid estimate, anyone else?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have noticed over 4 years of using adwords that if your max CPC far exceeds the first page bid estimate, you are still charged very close to your max CPC for that click.  I used to be able to use spreadsheet edit to lower my max CPCs to match the first page bid exactly to keep my costs down, since if a first page bid estimate is only $0.50, I still get charged $4.65 because my max CPC was at $5.00

With spreadsheet edit gone, and the bulk edit method of exporting and then importing my changes does not display the first page bid in the exported file, how else can I LOWER my max CPCs to match the first page bid estimate without actually going through the keyword list in the campaign settings?  (I have a total of about 4,000 keywords for my campaigns, so that would take forever)

2 Expert replyverified_user

Lower my Max CPC's down to the 1st page bid without spreadsheet edit?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I usually use spreadsheet edit to lower my max CPC's to match the first page bid exactly, now with that gone, trying to use bulk edit with exporting/importing spreadsheets doesn't list the first page bid estimate.  I know it displays the first page bid estimate on the main keyword list, but only if you're under it.  I have campaigns and ad groups with probably 4,000 keywords total and it would take me hours to go through each list and lower my CPC to match the 1st page bid this way.  Is there going to be another way to do this?  The only reason I do this is because I have noticed over the years that if a first page bid for a keyword got lowered from $2.00 down to $0.50 and my max CPC is still at $2.00, then the charge for that click is much closer to $2.00 than $0.50, so I lower my bids to match the first page so I don't get overcharged.

It would just be nice to be able to do this again, either just list the first page bid estimate in the spreadsheet I export for bulk edit or to keep spreadsheet edit, please let me know if there is some other way

Re: Charged way over first page bid estimate, anyone else?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

you can select all keywords

Take a look at the pics

Choose change max cpc

1.JPG

Set max cpc to maybe 0.01 ( as low as possible)

2.JPG

Then repeat the first step and this time choose raise to estimated first page bid

3.JPG

Make sure you un check upper bid limit and click make changes  

4.JPG

I hope that helps

Maged Wassef
Adwords Guru and a Mini Genius I Follow @TopRankGuru
Please Star My reply If it helped you Smiley Very Happy

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Ion Data and Maged Wassef !

You can use the automatic rules to manage bidding easily and you will get emails every time an automatic rule makes a change .

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497710?hl=en

Take a look at the section "Bids and bid scheduling" , and "Raise bids to ensure ads show on the first page"

Now this can backfire because you can raise the bid today and have 4 $ per keyword and maybe tommorow the first page bid is 3 $ , and you cannot raise 4 to match 3. What do you do then ?

You create another automatic rule to run before the "raise bids to show on the first page" , and you lower all your bids to a value like Maged sugessted.

In the end you will have only 2 automatic rules doing all the work for you.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

You must concentrate however on measuring conversions from you keywords , because automatic rules can also improve conversions. Clicks alone don't mean much if you don't know if they generate profit or not.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722022?hl=en

You can also try to use AdWords scripts to find the optimal bid

https://developers.google.com/adwords/scripts/docs/tutorials/bid-testing

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Ion Data, a couple of things to pick up on in your post.

First and foremost, why are you talking about CPC only, without reference to conversions or Return on Investment.  What you pay per click and your position on the page are merely part of an equation that determines the success of your advertising.  You should be focusing on your profit or your goals, not the CPC of your clicks.  For example, if you decide arbitrarily that you will only pay $1 per click then fine, you can do that, but you may get only 30% of the conversions you would get if you paid $2 per click.  It is not true to always assume that a lower CPC means a higher profit, you need to measure and test the results.

Secondly, as Adrian has suggested, one of the easiest ways to control CPC across an Account is by using Automated Rules.  You can now also use Bidding Strategies (if available) that will automatically change your bids to be related to the First Page Bid or Top of First Page Bid.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It seems like i can make this work, how can i do this but not let any of my bids exceed $2.00 at the same time?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

put upper limit at 2 and don't un tick the upper bid box Smiley Happy

Maged Wassef
Adwords Guru and a Mini Genius I Follow @TopRankGuru
Please Star My reply If it helped you Smiley Very Happy

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager
This 2013 thread has been closed to new replies.