AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Changing tracking template URL and Ad stats

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

When Adwords implemented Tracking template i thought that one of the main advantages was that a tracking URL can be changed without ad having to go through another approval and also all the ad stats will be preserved.

I just changed Tracking URL in desktop Adwords editor and now my ads are in review and all stats are blank Smiley Sad

Also, i have an ad in the campaign which was created using Adwords Tool. That as did not get downloaded into Adwords Editor and never got updated.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eric K
November 2015

Re: Changing tracking template URL and Ad stats

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Eric, how are things?

To avoid review on ads due change on track, you should create tracking templates on higher level entities such as Account level or Campaign Level. When you use Ad level tracking template, they will always for review, because it's the same as altering the ad itself.

Take a look here to learn more about this:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6076199?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eric K
November 2015

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

To avoid review on ads due change on track, you should create tracking templates on higher level entities such as Account level or Campaign Level. When you use Ad level tracking template, they will always for review, because it's the same as altering the ad itself.

Take a look here to learn more about this:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6076199?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I looked at the link you provided above and i could not find instructions on how to add tracking template on the Ad group level.

The only thing i was able to find is that i can add Tracking Template column to my custom view and enter it there. However, i am not sure if this is the right way.

Also, is there a way to enter Final url on the ad group level or does it have to be on the ad level? If on the Ad level i have final url and blank tracking template will Adwords take final url from ad level and tracking template from Ad group level?

Thank you

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I did more reading about tracking templates
If i enter my tracking template on Adgroup as
http://www.3rdpartytracker.com/rd?url={lpurl}

will Adwords take Final URL from ad level and replace it in above?
I do not want Adwords to send users directly to lpurl as my tracker will redirect them there anyways.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

For creating a model under Ad Group level, take these steps:

1. From the Campaigns tab, choose the Ad groups tab.
  2. Click the Columns drop-down, then choose Customize columns.
  3. Under "Select metrics," choose Attributes.
  4. Click "Custom parameter" and "Tracking template" in the list of attributes and click Add.
  5. Click Apply at the bottom of the window.
  6. Hover over any entry in the new "Custom parameter" or "Tracking template" columns, and click when the pencil appears.
  7. Edit your tracking template and custom parameters, following the guidelines above.
  8. Click Save.

Regarding your 3rd party tracking, you've got that right. Adwords will replace {lpurl} but the url set on "Final URL" field.

Changing tracking template URL and Ad stats

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

prabhafilms