AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Changing the Display/Destination URL for 1000s of Ads in a large account.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I havea client who has domain with a hyphen that has been in services for 2+ years.

They recently purchased the non-hyphenated version of the domain and have migrated the site in full (exact file structure) to the new domain 

While it will be rather easy to global replace the changes in AW Editor and then send to the site.   I wanted to get some feedback on the impact this will have on QS.  I assume we will be virtually starting from scratch with quality measures, but will carry the account-level favor that is pre-existing?

Is there a better way to implement this?  Phase it in over time?  Does it matter?

Any feedback on this topicwould be appreciated 

Regards, Doug
LinkedIn  
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Changing the Display/Destination URL for 1000s of Ads in a large account.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi PPCBUILDERS, the only factor of QS you need to worry about here is historical CTR but even then it's only the Ads you're changing, not the Keywords. Quality Score is recalculated with each click and current CTR is more important than historical so I'd say you'll see little effect.  At worst it might be one or two clicks each Ad only, and then quite small.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks.

I appreciate the insight.

/Doug

Regards, Doug
LinkedIn  

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi PPCBUILDERS,

I must be in an ornery today. This is only my 2nd post of the day and the 2nd time I will disagree with a friend's post, or at least present a different point of view.

The QS that is calculated with each click includes the keyword, the display URL, the landing page, and the ad itself. You have no choice in updating the display URL, but there might be a slight advantage to (301) redirecting the hyphen domain to the non-hyphen domain in that the destination URL will remain the same. I would do it this way and let it run for a couple or few weeks before updating the destination URL's to the new domain name. And, I would not update any ads when changing the destination URL. Instead, I would create new ads for the new domain destination URL's. Changes to either the destination or display URL put your ad under review. If you change either one, your ad will stop showing while it goes through the review process. Once you put your 301 redirects in place, you must update your display URL or your ads will go into a disapproved status. Too many disapproved ads can put an account into jeopardy. So, you will have a brief period where your ads must be paused while you put the redirects in place and while your ads go through approval for the changes to the display URL. You can not avoid this. But when you update the destinations, create new ads.

Why not change the destination and display URL's at the same time? It's an effort to retain the QS of your landing page, a QS we never see but exists nevertheless.

This is also the best way to move your site to a new URL to retain page rank you may have on your site.

Now, I must mention, Jon manages way more accounts than I do. I only manage one account and I have no clients. Jon runs accounts for many, many businesses.

Even if you do decide to make all edits at once, please do put the 301 redirects in place from the older domain to the new domain and leave them all in place for several months. Get a Webmaster Tools account, if you don't already have one, and put in a change of address. This will make the transition from one domain to the other much smoother. And any user bookmarks will still be valid.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords