AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Changing domain extension during a visit from adwords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have set up a page to welcome visitors of a specific country into our website. The page is in a localized language and features some products from our domestic site the visitor can click-through to in order to complete the purchase. We want our display URL to be the localized domain (with the country extension, i.e. example.com.fr). So basically the user will come to example.com.fr and then be able to click-through to example.com. Are there any best practices reasons to do this or not to do this? Is it against policy?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Changing domain extension during a visit from adwords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Anneabol,

As southco3894 correctly advised you by linking to the appropriate help page, under the configuration you described example.com.fr will be functioning as a bridge page with the sole purpose to sending visitors further to example.com. That's frowned on.

You're advised to consider to create the welcome page within your regular example.com domain and enter example.com/FR or e.g. example.com/FRENCH in the Display URL box. I'd add that Google does not care much for the part of the Display URL which is posterior to the symbol "/".

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Anneabol,

The policy states: "Bridge pages offer little or no unique content and are considered low value to users. Affiliates that display the same characteristics may also be considered bridge pages. Bridge pages can also be sites that drive traffic from AdWords-compliant content to non-compliant content."

1. If you have unique content, those pages would not be considered bridge pages.

2. You're not an affiliate advertiser because you own all the sites involved.

3. You are not driving traffic to a non-compliant site.

I don't think your pages would be considered bridge pages except for one thing--they all say pretty much the same thing except in a different language. In this case, your original language content (I assume) is unique, but the translated pages would probably be considered duplicate content, jgiving you a heavt hit on your quality scores. To avoid this, use the "meta canonical" tag and have all translation pages point back to the same orginal language page. You should be able to easily find info on how to use this tag. Just Google "meta canonical tag". It goes in the head of your document.

I have three web sites and all three go to a fourth site for shoppng cart function. If you click on my ad and take the desired action, you go immediately to the shoping cart site. The pages I advertise have not.been flagged as bridge pages. (I hope Google doesn't go look now! Smiley Happy I don't think there is a problem here.

For each language you wish to target, create a separate campaign. You can use the same keywords (or different ones) because of the separate targeting (they won't compete against each other). You can target by language (derived from the browser setting) or by location (derived from multiple sources).

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Anneabol and Pete,

>> I don't think your pages would be considered bridge pages <<

I do surrender to the arguments in Pete's recent post, kudos. Also their own website he mentioned is a very good example.

I'm not sure though whether it's politically correct to offer this solution to some one with little experience in AdWords. Anyway Anneabol If you decide on taking the path suggested by Pete please be very careful so you are always safe and never close to any borderline.

Best,

Lakatos