AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Changing an existing campaign to an App Installs campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I need to be able to switch an existing campaign (Search Only, All Features) to a Mobile App Installs campaign. However, the App Installs campaign radio button does not appear at all in the settings options for the existing campaign. Is this simply not possible, or is there some workaround that would allow me to do this? (If it's not possible at all, I'm curious as to why -- does it have to do with the ad format differences?)

Brief explanation re why I need to do this: We have an API-based system that auto-launches "normal" (Search-only, all features) campaigns. We have a potential client who wants to take advantage of all the automation features of our platform, but for an app-installs campaign. In order to do that (without rebuilding our platform for this 1 client), we need to 1) launch the normal all-features campaign, then 2) change the settings in Adwords to App Installs.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Changing an existing campaign to an App Installs campaign

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Nate,

Mobile app installs campaigns are a specialized subtype campaign type, under 'Display Network Only' campaigns.

The campaign you have right now is a 'Search only' campaign, and it is NOT allowed to change a search network only campaign type to display network only campaign.

Please find details here - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2567043?hl=en

So you need to create a new Display Network Only campaign.

Deepak

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Deepak. Thanks for the reply, but that's incorrect. Mobile App Installs campaigns can run on either the search or display network. See halfway down the page on this link, where there are instructions for creating both search and display versions:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6032059?hl=en&vid=1-635760441644616171-2613682173

I still suspect that it has something to do with differences in ads, but can't find anything that explicitly says, "You can't do this and here's why."

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Nate,

You are right. I was completely pivoted in the 'Change the campaign type' wording in the title of your post, sorry for that.

Can you see the 'Mobile App Engagement' radio button under Setting tab > Campaign type > Edit ?

Mob App Engagement.png