AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Changing URLs in PPC account when moving a Domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a simple question about a best practice and was wondering if anyone in this community has the answer.

We are in the process of merging/moving a domain (i.e. olddomain.com) to a different more established domain we own (i.e. newdomain.com). This is for branding and business purposes and not because of any penalty or other ulterior motives.

The old domain has an existing established and optimized Adwords PPC account with over 100K keywords. We plan on using the existing account for the "new" domain. The page/URL structure of the new domain is exactly the same as the old domain. Once the merge is complete the old domain will be used for something else.

Question: Is it better to take an existing campaign and

(a) change the URLs from olddomain.com to newdomain.com in all the ads; OR

(b) create a "clone" campaign of an existing campaign with URLs pointing to the new domain and then pausing the old campaign.

I am leaning towards the first solution but would love to know what some of you think. ANY help is very much appreciated.

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bahman E
September 2015

Re: Changing URLs in PPC account when moving a Domain

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Bahman,

Welcome to AdWords Community Smiley Happy

If you create a replicated campaigns in new domain, it will have zero data at every level. i.e. keywords, ad copy and ad group level. Since it is a fresh campaigns, so It would take sometimes to give better result.

However if you change the Domain URL in old campaigns, your all ads will be automatically deleted and the new ads will be created. So the ads level you have zero data but you can see previous data in the deleted ads. Also the keywords will shows your complete data.

Thus changing the domain url in old campaigns is best practices, as somehow you have some old data in your campaigns. i.e keyword level or Ad Group level.

But make sure:-
1.) if you change the domain URL in new campaigns, then change all keywords level domain url, and keep display url and destination url in the same domain. if you will not do this, your ads will be disapproved.
2.) Also change the site link extension URL domain, as i have seen these types of mistake in many accounts, as advertisers change the ad copy level url and forget to remove the sitelink extension url and as a result, ads get disapproved.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I really appreciate your input and suggestions for this. The additional information about the things to watch our for was also very helpful. Thanks!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bahman E
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Bahman E,

And don't forget to 301 redirect all pages in the old domain to the new domain. I will usually update the display URL and let the redirect handle the destination URL so some of the "juice" from the current site is transferred to the new site.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much about the 301s. Those are next on our agenda. The solution you suggest for just changing the display URL and letting the redirect handle it, is very interesting as well. However, at some point the URLs in the ads will have to be changed, once the original site is used for something else.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I have one interesting fact to add , you can have Sitelinks with a different URL than the domain advertised in that Ad Group,  in the following manner :

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/1054210?hl=en

"

• Third-party links: In limited circumstances, sitelinks may point to third-party sites such as your Google+ page, Facebook page, Twitter, YouTube, or LinkedIn. If doing so, the link text must be descriptive of what someone would find on that landing page. For example, "Watch our YouTube video" should lead to your video on YouTube."

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Bahman E,

Yes, at some point you will want to change the destination URL's as well, after Google has had time to figure out the new page is the same as the old page, and the new pages are the same as the old pages. I will generally run organic searches for which I know we rank well. When the new URL shows up on search results, the "juice" has been transferred. At that point you can change your destination URL's.

I would leave the redirects in place until they get no more traffic.

Adrian, I did not realize we could add third-party sitelinks. Thanks for that.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Adrian, thanks for the additional information.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Pete, I appreciate that

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

Are you saying while determining the QS, the performance of the deleted Ad will also be taken into consideration ?

Let's say I have an ad (ad 1) that's been running for 6 months and has good performance historical data. I edit the ad which causes the ad to delete and a new one is created instead (ad 2).

My question is, while evaluating the QS of keyword + Ad pair, for (ad 2) will the system consider the past performance of (ad 1) as well ?

Logically it shouldn't but I'm confused .

Or is the purpose of having the deleted historical data merely for reporting purpose ?

Thanks!