AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Changing Keyword Option and Importing into Adwords Editor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello experts,

I often download keyword lists from Editor and make multiple changes and then paste the changes back into Editor. However, when I make multiple Keyword Option changes, the Editor does not recognize that I want to change the existing keyword and adds these keywords as new. Then I have double keywords just with a different keyword option.

Does anyone know a simple way that I can change the keyword option of multiple keywords and then paste or upload these changes to Adwords Editor?

I look forward to your feedback!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by stephenb (Follower ✭ ☆ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Changing Keyword Option and Importing into Adwords Editor

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Humm 

Not sure about this but you can download keyword view as csv make desired changes, then delete all keywords in that view in adwords editor and then upload your csv. will that work for you?

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by stephenb (Follower ✭ ☆ ☆)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi there, 

This link here might help you find duplicate keywords so you can delete them if you need to. 

Hope that helps!

A. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all these tips. I think the solution with downloading a csv, making the keyword option changes and then uploading this csv is the best option. Then I must just delete the duplicate keywords with the old keyword option.

The only problem with this solution is that the history of the keywords is lost. Is there any way to change the keyword option without losing the history? Or does Google always see such changes as a new keyword?

Thanks again for all your comments!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Let me quote what Sir Petebardo (top contributor) mentioned:

Nothing is actually ever deleted from your account. When you delete a keyword or an ad, it doesn't simply disappear, and the history is not lost. You will need to enable display of the deleted keywords and ads (if that display is currently disabled on your account). To see the performance history for any deleted or paused keyword, you will need to set your date range to a time period during which your keywords were active to see the performance data.

You can follow that thread here.

More Power,
Loraine

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the feeback everyone!

I know that the keyword history is not completely lost or deleted. I thought there might just be a way to keep the history for the particular keyword. However, it is clear to me now that when you change the keyword option, Google sees this as a brand new keyword, thus, no previous history.

All your tips have really helped! Thanks!