AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Changing Domain - Implications for Adwords/Google Shopping

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I have a question about changing domains, and Adwords/Google Shopping. 

I have a client with a large Adwords account, including 2 Shopping Feeds. This client is about to change domain name, to a completely brand new one, with no existing adwords account or anything associated. My question is, can he keep the same AdWords account and Merchant Centre account, and if so what are the implications for updating the domain and thus the shopping feed URLs?

The new domain will have the exact same URL structure (ie olddomain.com/category/product = newdomain.com/category/product ) so the actual administrative task of updating all the URLs on the ads themselves can be automated reasonably simply, but with the new domain the shopping feeds will also be changing URLs, so will this require anything further beyond updating the feed URLs to the new ones? 

Any help would be appreciated!!

Many thanks, 

Beth

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Changing Domain - Implications for Adwords/Google Shopping

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Bespoke I it's about as simple as it gets with AdWords... Since all the details of the site are held within the Merchant Centre feed, there's actually nothing to change in AdWords at all (if you're only running Shopping Campaigns).

You may want to pause the Campaigns until you're certain the feeds have been accepted and are beginning to show available products, but that's about it.  A client of mine has just done the same thing and that really is all there is to it.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Jon_Gritton

Thankyou so much for your reply!

Just to check I'm reading this right, if I just update the Shopping Feed URLs, I don't need to do anything else? I'm very cautious as his inventory is huge and he has a very complicated Google Shopping structure which took a long time to setup, and Google Shopping is a big % of his revenue currently

Many thanks,
Beth

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Bespoke I sorry I missed this reply, I've been away.

Has the change happened?  Did it go as expected?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Changing Domain - Implications for Adwords/Google Shopping

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Jon_GrittonI have the same case  as @Bespoke I and after contacting google support, they said that you need to claim new domain and then submit a new product data feed to Merchant Center with the updated domain.