AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Changing Ad Group Names in bulk

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to change a number of my adgroup names, however I don't want to replace the previous adgroup/remove previous data. Is there any way to do this in bulk? perhaps using the ad group id so that everything remains assigned to the correct ad group?
Can't seem to make it work in editor so wondering if Bulk Uploads would work? Don't want to make any irreversible changes if they're incorrect!
Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

If the changes you wish to make are regular (replacing one piece of text with another, appending some suffix), you can do it with Replace Text and Append Text tools in Editor. Otherwise, Editor indeed doesn't support this kind of change in bulk at this time (there's a plan to make it possible in a future release).

I'm not familiar with the Bulk Upload in the online interface.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Unfortunately there's over 150 ad group names to be changed but each change is different (due to a change in my clients venue names) so a simple find and replace won't solve it quickly unfortunately.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Rachel,

This is an old thread, but I was able to do this so I wanted to share because I had the same question. If you go through the bulk operations >bulk upload section within the UI (not the editor) and include the ad group ID like you mentioned in your OP then it should change the name of the ad group.

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

As of version 12.3, Editor now supports this kind of operation too, via CSV import or Make Multiple Changes.

The trick is to provide both the old and the new ad group name - the former is used to loop up existing ad group, the latter to apply the edit. The CSV format for that looks like this:

Campaign, Ad Group#Original, Ad Group

My campaign name, Current ad group name, New ad group name

See also: https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/57747#CSVimportedits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

This is great! Thanks Igor.

So to clarify you just need to append #Original to any column I want to update and then the new column with the standard column name?

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Yes, that's the idea. Whenever both values are present, the value in Any Heading#Original column will be used when looking up existing item, while the value in Any Heading column will be used to edit that item.

One way to use this - export to CSV, make a copy of the column you want to edit, adjust the heading of one of the two columns with #Original suffix, then modify values in the other column to taste. Import the result back into Editor.

To make this easier, there's an option "Include original columns in CSV/ZIP exports" under Settings > General. When checked, Editor will emit two copies of every "key" column (a column normally used to look up existing items, e.g. Campaign for campaigns), one with #Original suffix and one without. Then you would edit values in the column without suffix, keeping the #Original one intact, and import back.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

This is the perfect solution I was looking for. One quick follow-up. Is there a way to Add a label to the current list of labels? like a #Add or something along those lines? It's great that I'm able to update the AdGroup Name, but now I'd like to add an additional label in my upload to note these are the ad groups I've changed

Thanks again

Highlighted

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

There's no special syntax for adding a label - you just append label name to the semicolon-separated list of existing labels in Labels column. Should be easy with a spreadsheet formula.