AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Change multiple URLs in Bulk

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My client changed a lot of it's URLs, so I would like to change the existing URLs in my Adwords account to the new ones.

I got an 'URL A to URL B excelsheet', but I can't find a way to upload/ change these URL's (not via Bulkuploads, Multiple changes in Editor). To be clear: these URLs are used in many (different) ads, adgroups and campaigns, so selecting and changing them 1-by-1 via the Editor would take ages.

Is there a 'Search & Replace' feature I am overlooking or another way to change the URLs in bulk?

Thanks a lot for helping out!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Q-mark
September 2015

Re: Change multiple URLs in Bulk

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I know that this may sound a little bit complicated, but this is how I would do that:

1 - create an excel sheet, place in TAB 1 the list of URL A (old one) in column A and URL B (the new one) in column B

2 - export the account in a CSV and copy everything in TAB 2 or your excel sheet

3 - change the order of the column in TAB 2 to make sure that your final URL are in column A

4 - run a VLOOKUP function in TAB 2 looking for the URL A in TAB 1 and populate a new column ("New Final URL" for example) with URL B from TAB 1

5 - replace the old final url with the new one in TAB 2

6 - Upload everything again in AWE

In case you have problems with the formatting due to the presence of Keywords, Ads and Sitelinks in the same export, you can do this process once for the Keywords, once for the ads and another time for the sitelinks.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Q-Mark.
I WOULD actually use editor for this.
You can look at all campaigns ads in one window. Sort by the URL column. The homepage should be top (or bottom) set of final URLs. Highlight them all, right click and THEN search and replace.

That's how I'd approach it anyway.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dave,

Thank you for your help!

This approach would take a lot of time, because I have to 'Search and Replace' many URLs. Eg: search 1 url and than replace a few in 1 action.

Is there a way to change all URLs by uploading or replace an URL A to B list?

Thanks again!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Mark
You could export the account to a CSV in AWE and then do an excel function or macro to do this. If that's your preference, go for it! Smiley Happy

I've either misunderstood your predicament or you're not grasping how cool the new AWE actually is. You can search and replace only selected, filtered items AFTER sorting. If you'd prefer to do it in excel/Google Sheets, that might be better.

The alternative is to use AdWords scripts or even the API for it if you're feeling brave.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dave,

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.
Don't get me wrong, the AWE is my best friend (although I find the search function a little inefficient compared to the older one. I loved the way I could combine searches at ones).

Just to be sure: are you telling me that it is possible to 'search & replace' all the URLs at ones or is it still manually like this:
1) Find the URLs that match
2) Replace those URLs
3) Find the next URL etc etc

This will take ages (especially because I need to change URLs in Ads, Keywords & Sitelinks) and I'm looking for a way to do it faster. Or am I doing something wrong?

It should be possible via Bulkuploads right? But there I can't figure out how to name the (A to B URL) columns in the excelsheet to change URL A to B...?

Again, thanks for your time and effort!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Q-mark
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I know that this may sound a little bit complicated, but this is how I would do that:

1 - create an excel sheet, place in TAB 1 the list of URL A (old one) in column A and URL B (the new one) in column B

2 - export the account in a CSV and copy everything in TAB 2 or your excel sheet

3 - change the order of the column in TAB 2 to make sure that your final URL are in column A

4 - run a VLOOKUP function in TAB 2 looking for the URL A in TAB 1 and populate a new column ("New Final URL" for example) with URL B from TAB 1

5 - replace the old final url with the new one in TAB 2

6 - Upload everything again in AWE

In case you have problems with the formatting due to the presence of Keywords, Ads and Sitelinks in the same export, you can do this process once for the Keywords, once for the ads and another time for the sitelinks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks! It looks good. I will try it.

Thank you for your help!